I can't take my eyes off you

chuchu803

Cantonese HK
Bonjour,
how to translate "i can't take my eyes off of you" to french?
"Je ne peux pas oter mes yeux de toi"
c'est correct?

• mapping

France, French
    chuchu,
    although your sentence is gramatically correct, noone would ever say that in France. charlie's sentence is much better.
    and you can also say:
    Je n'arrive pas à te quitter des yeux

broglet

English - England
    Woody Allen a dit a sa copine dans un taxi: "You're so beautiful, I can hardly keep my eyes on the meter"

By the way, the English in your thread title should be "off you" not "off of you"

watergirl

English, U.S.A.
    By the way, the English in your thread title should be "off you" not "off of you"

Are you sure, broglet? I think we say it either way.
    I'm reminded of an old song: "You're just too good to be true...Can't take my eyes off of you...You feel like heaven to touch...I wan't to hold you so much..." :)

Nelny

French France
    Woody Allen a dit a sa copine dans un taxi: "You're so beautiful, I can hardly keep my eyes on the meter"

Hello,
    Yes, I agree, "off you"...
    "Je ne peux pas te quitter des yeux" or "je n'arrive pas à détourner mon regard de toi"

broglet

English - England
    I'm reminded of an old song: "You're just too good to be true...Can't take my eyes off of you...You feel like heaven to touch...I wan't to hold you so much..." :)
    Thanks for that, watergirl. I think it must be AE, as eyesofsky opines. In the song you quote they might have just stuck the "of" in for metrical reasons; it doesn't make much difference to its poetic value either way! Another "pleonastic 'of' " that I believe originated in America but has now become common in the UK is to be seen in such phrases as "all of the presidents ..."

Crescent

Russian, (Ukraine)
    I was wondering if one would be able to say: Je ne peux pas/je n'arrive pas à tirer mes yeux de toi! :D :D
    Or does that remind everyone of paper or cloth tearing,is too literal, and sounds far too strange? :D :eek:

Olympus_france

French France
    I advise to write :

Je ne peux te quitter du regard
    or
    Je ne parviens à te quitter des yeux
    or
    Je ne parviens à te quitter du regard
    or
    Je ne parviens à te quitter des yeux.

My preference goes to : Je ne parviens à te quitter des yeux.

Ces quatre formulations sont très correctes et rendent bien l'idée de "cannot" et de "off you".

Olympus, Frenchgirl.

chuchu803

Cantonese HK
    Merci à tous:)
    btw, it's《the blower's daughter》lyrics

Broglet, Thank you so much.
    but i don't know how to change the thread title...

geostan

English Canada

One word of caution: never use song lyrics to justify usage. The grammar is often atrocious.