I can't wait to see in the new year

Laurajean

Spain spanish
HI

can " can't wait to see..." mean estoy deseando que llegue?

I mean, is it correct to say it this way:

I can't wait to see in the new year:

estoy deseando que llegue el año que viene

I´ve also read it this way:

I can't wait for the new year.

because, how can it be translated " I can't see..." apart from estoy deseando ver... algo.

are both correct ways to say the same thing?

thanks

• levmac

British English
    "To see in" = celebrar.

Solo se usa con el año nuevo creo ya que te quedas despierto ("para vigilar" es la connotación) cuando llega el año nuevo.

"I can't wait to see in the new year" = December 31st-1st January, la fiesta, etc.
    "I can't wait for the new year" = 2014

sound shift

English - England
    "I can't wait to see in the new year" implies that the speaker will be awake when the clock strikes twelve and suggests that he/she wants to celebrate the moment in some way (with a drink, perhaps).

"I can't wait for the new year" does not carry the same implications.

(Cross-posted with levmac, with whom I agree.)

Cal inhibes

Spanish
    I can't wait to see in se traduce generalmente por "estoy impaciente por verlo". La traducción literal "no puedo esperar por verlo" es poco usual en español.
    Saludos

levmac

British English
    I can't wait to see in se traduce generalmente por "estoy impaciente por verlo". La traducción literal "no puedo esperar por verlo" es poco usual en español.
    Saludos
    Es que "see in" no es "ver"! The WR dictionary has it as "celebrar". Sound shift and I tried to explain the specific connotation, but a simple explanation is that it means "celebrate".

< Previous | Next >