I celebrate my birthday tomorrow.

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all,

Is it correct to say "I celebrate my birthday tomorrow" (i.e. using the present simple) to convey absolute certainty?

I think the norm would be to say "I'm celebrating", "I'm going to celebrate", or "I'll celebrate", but I'd like to know if the simple present is also possible.

Many thanks. :)

• tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    As Uncle Jack noted, all the versions are possible. So is "I'll be celebrating my birthday tomorrow".

kentix

English - U.S.
    ... it's my birthday tomorrow, or tomorrow is my birthday.
    That's what "I celebrate my birthday tomorrow" means. Nothing more. It does not imply that you will have even the smallest party. It only states a fact. Your birthday is tomorrow. It's a habitual state that happens on that date.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    If I heard someone talking about plans to "celebrate their birthday", I'd understand they were having some kind of party - even if it was only with a couple of friends down the pub. It isn't the most common way of simply stating that "tomorrow is my birthday"; in an everyday context it might sound oddly formal.

On the other hand, if it was being reported in the media as Actress Maggie Smith celebrates her 85th birthday next month, I wouldn't necessary assume that she was having a celebration.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, exactly. If you are discussing plans (I'm celebrating my birthday tomorrow, I will be celebrating my birthday tomorrow, I'm having a birth celebration tomorrow), then it means you will have a party, of course. It's using an effectively future tense. It's also possible with a habitual description - I celebrate my birthday with a party every year.

But "I celebrate my birthday tomorrow" is like "Actress Maggie Smith celebrates her 85th birthday next month". Next month and tomorrow have the same function in those two sentences. It's a factual reference to a "date".

Packard

USA, English
    If I heard "I celebrate my birthday tomorrow" it would sound to me like the actual birthday is other than tomorrow, but it is more convenient to celebrate it on the following day.

"I will celebrate my birthday tomorrow" sounds like the birthday and the celebration are both on the following day.

< Previous | Next >