I changed my plans a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kajjo

elroy said:
Vielleicht hat die Person immer Lust gehabt, an einem bestimmten Tag in Berlin zu sein (wegen einer Feier oder so was). Obwohl er ständig nach Berlin fährt, hatte er noch nie die Möglichkeit, an diesem Tag dort zu sein. Er sagt also, "Endlich mal werde ich an diesem Tag in Berlin sein!" Ginge das?
Ja, das ginge!

"Endlich komme ich mal am Sonntag nach Berlin." (und nicht nur werktags)
"Endlich komme ich mal am 27. nach Berlin" (und nicht nur am 30. jeden Monats -- na ja, ist schon ziemlich weit hergeholt, aber formal richtig!)

Elroy said:
Jedenfalls stimme ich nach wie vor zu, dass Fruxi (von dem ich befürchte, wir haben ihn verschrocken! ;)) höchstwahrscheinlich nicht "endlich mal" sagen wollte.
Ja, das sehe ich auch beides so...

Kajjo

• FloVi

Deutsch / Deutschland
    Kajjo said:
    "Endlich komme ich mal am Sonntag nach Berlin." (und nicht nur werktags)
    "Endlich komme ich mal am 27. nach Berlin" (und nicht nur am 30. jeden Monats -- na ja, ist schon ziemlich weit hergeholt, aber formal richtig!)
    Können wir uns darauf einigen, dass "endlich mal" angewendet wird, wenn ein Ereignis eintritt, das

a) ersehnt wurde,
    b) eine ähnlich gelagerte Routine durchbricht und
    c) sehr oft eine Enttäuschung einleitet

"Endlich komme ich mal am Sonntag nach Berlin und da sind alle Geschäfte geschlossen."

Wichtig dabei sind jedoch a) und b). Ein lang erwartetes Ereignis trifft einfach nur "endlich" ein. Wird dabei jedoch eine ähnliche Ereigniskette durchbrochen, passiert das "endlich mal".

gaer

US-English
    Kajjo said:
    Wie oft kann denn "finally" etwa die gleiche Bedeutung wie "eventually" haben? Kann dies in der Gegenwart verwendet werden?

Sind diese Beispiele auch falsch?

"And finally, I want to thank you all for your patience!"
    "Finally, I'd like to add that I never thought this could happen."
    Kajjo, this has become a long topic and I am returning to it late. I hope I am not answering a question already answered to your satisfaction.

Except for one very minor typo, your sentences are very similar to those from Cambridge:

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone for coming this evening.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/

Just look up "finally" and click the entry for "last".

This is the only usage of "finally" that I myself am sure about:

Finally I will take a vacation in Germany! (I wanted to for many years but never had the money or the right opportunity. Could you translate this for me, or is it too vague? Do you need more context?

In this case, the meaning of "finally is "at last", and I'm not sure if this is colloquial or fully proper usage. I believe this was also the source of misunderstanding regarding "endlich mal", which from your post I have assumed cannot be used in this way.

Gaer

gaer

US-English
    heidita said:
    Ich bin sicher ,elroy ist nach wie vor nicht klar, wie endlich mal benutzt wird, obwohl sowohl Kajjo, als auch ich und Flovi genügend Beispiele gegeben haben. Dieser gegebene Satz kann auf keinen Fall mit endlich mal übersetzt werden.
    Heidita, I also read the examples given by you and Flovi. In addition, there was an example given by J3. I was just as confused as Elroy was. I'm still not sure I have fully grasped the nuances.

Since Kajjo had just posted the message before this, with examples that did partially clarify the usage for me, neither Elroy nor I had time to digest what he said, nor did we have time to answer him.

The connection between "finally" and "endlich mal" remains a very difficult thing for me, since sometimes these words can be used interchangeably, others times not.

Consider this, from Kajjo:

1) "Wir wollten schon seit Jahren mal wieder in den Zoo gehen. Diesen Sommer haben wir es nun endlich mal geschafft." [typische Verwendung]

Contrast with:

2) I've wanted to vist Germany for years, and finally I made it! (I'm now in Germany, finally.)

If I've correctly understood, I can't use "endlich mal" in sentence number two. However, if I am correct, if I have finally understood the problem, I only "got it" in the last 24 hours. In addition, I am by no means confident that I am right.

Please understand that something that may be elementary and self-evident to you, a "native", may be very difficult for those of use who are learning German, even those who are very advanced, and it would be wise to assume that people who are having problems may be confused rather than arrogant, stubborn or unreasonable.

Gaer

heidita

Banned
    Germany (German, English, Spanish)
    FloVi said:
    Können wir uns darauf einigen, dass "endlich mal" angewendet wird, wenn ein Ereignis eintritt, das

a) ersehnt wurde,

"Endlich komme ich mal am Sonntag nach Berlin und da sind alle Geschäfte geschlossen."

Wichtig dabei sind jedoch a) und b). Ein lang erwartetes Ereignis trifft einfach nur "endlich" ein. Wird dabei jedoch eine ähnliche Ereigniskette durchbrochen, passiert das "endlich mal".
    Ich denke, wir waren uns dabei schön längst einig.

heidita

Banned
    gaerPlease understand that something that may be elementary and self-evident to you said:
    Yes, Gaer, I understand that, even though I do think this thread got very unreasonable . Very much so. There have been three natives claiming over and over again, that endlich mal could only be used in a certain way, in NO way in the given sentences.

Aber zurück zum Thema und ich denke, die Sache hat sich endlich (nicht endlich mal hier!) für alle Beteiligten (?) geklärt.

In Deinem zweiten Satz könntest Du in der Tat endlich mal benutzen, aber ich wurde
    Endlich!
    vorziehen.
    2) I've wanted to vist for Germany for years, and finally I made it! (I'm now in Germany, finally.)

Ich wollte Deutschland schon immer mal (das ist ein ähnlicher Fall und, finde ich, sehr passend hier!) besuchen und habe es endlich (mal) geschafft! Ich bin jetzt in Deutschland! Endlich(mal)!

Ich bin sicher, Flovi und Kajjo werden auch ihre Meinungen abgeben. Mal sehen, ich finde eigentlich, endlich mal ist hier endlich mal recht passend. (hier habe ich auch endlich mal benutzt, findest Du das klar?)
    Finde ich eigentlich auch. Deshalb habe ich Endlich! bevorzugt.

gaer

US-English
    heidita said:
    Yes, Gaer, I understand that, even though I do think this thread got very unreasonable. Very much so. There have been three natives claiming over and over again, that endlich mal could only be used in a certain way, in NO way in the given sentences. One cannot asume confusion when a person needs to be right by any means.
    I have to disagree with you. I clearly stated that I have not understood what the rules are regarding "endlich" or "endlich mal". To this very moment I am still confused. It was clear to me that several natives were making a point. However, I did not understand the point. I still do not. It is very difficult for me.
    Aber zurück zum Thema und ich denke, die Sache hat sich endlich (nicht endlich mal hier!) für alle Beteiligten (?) geklärt.
    On the contrary, now I am more confused than ever. :(

Once again, the original text:

Finally, I'll be arriving in Berlin on July 27th and I intend to visit Hamburg, Dresden and Hannover."

Let me reword the second sentence to make clear what I thought one of two possible meanings might be:

I'll be arriving in Berlin on July 27th. Finally! And I intend to visit Hamburg, Dresden and Hannover."

I sincerely thought that the writer was expressing excitement. Finally I'll be arriving in Berlin!

Furthermore, I am not concinved that the natives who have been attempting to help those of us whose first language is English have fully understood the nuances in English regarding the use of "finally". This makes this discussion doubly tricky, since potential problems exist in both languages.

One of the purposes of this forum is to discuss complicated or confusing problems, and so long as people remain confused, there is no rule about how long we may struggle to get to the bottom of a problem.

Now, if I have understood correctly, "endlich mall" will not work in this sentence. Will "endlich" work? If not, why? And if not, what would be correct?

I'll be arriving in Berlin on July 27th. Finally! And I intend to visit Hamburg, Dresden and Hannover."

Is the tense the problem? Is it the fact that it is set in a form of future tense? Is that what all of you have been saying?

I still don't understand myself. In the whole time I've participated in this forum, this is the first time I've been left in the dark after so many posts. I have never been more exasperated.

In other words, for some reason the use of "I'll be arriving" is causing a translation problem. It is causing an "understanding problem". I feel that the natives are unaware of our "English problem". I don't think I'm a stupid person, and I don't think I'm an unreasonable person. I try to listen. I try to be polite.

I am still confused. What you are viewing as arrogance or stubbornness I'm viewing as frustration and confusion. I am frustrated myself.

Gaer

heidita

Banned
    gaer said:
    I have to disagree with you. I clearly stated that I have not understood what the rules are regarding "endlich" or "endlich mal". To this very moment I am still confused. It was clear to me that several natives were making a point. However, I did not understand the point. I still do not. It is very difficult for me.

On the contrary, now I am more confused than ever. :(
    Always the diplomat, Gaer!

I sincerely thought that the writer was expressing excitement. Finally I'll be arriving in Berlin!
    Wenn man das so auslegt, wäre trotzdem nicht endlich mal passend, sondern

Endlich!

One of the purposes of this forum is to discuss complicated or confusing problems, and so long as people remain confused, there is no rule about how long we may struggle to get to the bottom of a problem.
    Yes, as long as people remain confused, no problem. I am a teacher and you know perfectly well, how often we repeat over and over and over again.

Schade, ich dachte anhand der vielen Beispielen wäre das jetzt klar.Aber es ist wirklich schwierig zu verstehen, denn zwischen endlich mal und endlich gibt es manchmal nur eine winzige Nuance.

Kajjo

Ich möchte das Problem noch einmal aus der Perspektive des "mal" angehen. Dieses kleine Wort ist für uns Muttersprachler offensichtlich entscheidend und kann ein "endlich mal" passend, ein "endlich" dagegen unpassend erscheinen lassen und umgekehrt!

"Seit vier Stunden versuche ich, die Mathe-Aufgabe zu lösen. Jetzt habe ich es endlich geschafft!"

Hier wäre "endlich mal" ganz eindeutig falsch und völlig unpassend, denn es geht nur um eine Aufgabe, die man auch nur einmal versucht hat zu lösen. Dieser Lösungsprozeß hat lange gedauert und nach etlichen Stunden hat man es dann endlich geschafft. Damit ist dieser Vorgang aber auch beendet. Alles klar soweit?

"Ich spiele schon seit zwei Monaten mit ihm Tennis. Und jetzt habe ich endlich mal gewonnen!"

Hier paßt nur "endlich mal", denn es haben ja viele Spiele stattgefunden, die alle hätten so oder so ausgehen können. Bisher hatte ich alle verloren, ein Spiel davon habe ich nun endlich mal gewonnen, aber das nächste ist natürlich wieder völlig offen und wir werden auch noch öfter zusammen spielen. Der Vorgang setzt sich also fort.

Kajjo

Kajjo

FloVi said:
    a) ersehnt wurde,

Bei a) und b) stimme ich eindeutig zu, bei c) dagegen nicht. Für mich bleibt ein Satz, der mit "endlich mal" beginnt, völlig wertfrei und ergebnisoffen. Man kann den weiteren Verlauf des Satzes nicht abschätzen.

"Endlich komme ich mal am Sonntag nach Berlin und wir können zusammen zusammen spielen/ausgehen."

Gerade in diesem Beispiel mit "Sonntag" würde ich etwas Positives erwarten, weil an Werktagen bestimmt weniger Aktivitäten möglich sind? Wie auch immer, alles ist offen und beides ist möglich.

Kajjo

gaer

US-English
    heidita said:
    Always the diplomat, Gaer!
    Oh, not always. Most of my life I've been criticized for being too hot-headed. :)
    Gaer said:
    Heidita said:
    Wenn man das so auslegt, wäre trotzdem nicht endlich mal passend, sondern

Endlich!
    Endlich habe ich es verstanden! Or I think I understand. That little word "mal" seems to be the trouble maker. :)
    Schade, ich dachte anhand der vielen Beispielen wäre das jetzt klar.Aber es ist wirklich schwierig zu verstehen, denn zwischen endlich mal und endlich gibt es manchmal nur eine winzige Nuance.
    I believe that has probably been a huge part of the problem from the start. Since I use German passively, I have never encountered a sentence using "endlich", "endlich mal", "schließlich", etc. that has given me a problem. Context always makes the meanings clear. However, I'm absolutely positive that I would mix up these words if I were to attempt to write German, using them.

Let me see if I have "gotten it". I think that I could use "endlich" to use "finally" in any sentence where I "finally" got to do something I had dreamed about. For instance, when I first discovered this forum, I said to my wife:

FINALLY I've found someplace to talk to other people who are fluent in both English and German. So I think I could use "endlich" in such a sentence. Correct? <pressing the thumbs together> ;)

Gaer

heidita

Banned
    FINALLY I've found someplace to talk to other people who are fluent in both English and German. So I think I could use "endlich" in such a sentence. Correct? <pressing the thumbs together>
    Ich wollte schon sagen,

Schade, Du hast es immer nocht nicht kapiert!

Aber das wäre nur ein Scherz gewesen! Ja, endlich (nicht endlich mal!) hast Du es verstanden!

Das ist auch nur ein weiterer Beispielsatz, denn ich habe nicht daran gezweifelt.

heidita

Banned
    Kajjo said:
    . Für mich bleibt ein Satz, der mit "endlich mal" beginnt, völlig wertfrei und ergebnisoffen. Man kann den weiteren Verlauf des Satzes nicht abschätzen.

"Endlich komme ich mal am Sonntag nach Berlin und wir können zusammen zusammen spielen/ausgehen."

Ja, finde ich auch.

Aber die Erklärung "es bricht eine Routine durch" finde ich ausgezeichnet.

Jana337

čeština
    Dieser Faden dreht sich im Kreise und es fehlt ab und zu an Rationalität.

Geschlossen.

Jana

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >