I could do that as well with the gun in my pocket as with it in her possession

zwxsnake

Chinese
Hi,

Then, as though to demonstrate her sincerity, she reached over and offered the gun to me.
Perhaps, after sleeping off my exhaustion, I was more inclined to trust her. But I could do that as well with the gun in my pocket as with it in her possession. I took it from her outstretched hand.

This is from the novel Simulacron-3. Does the red part mean, "if I have the gun in my pocket, I could also trust her (hidden message:I'd better take the gun)"?

Thanks!

• Copyright

American English
    Perhaps, after sleeping off my exhaustion, I was more inclined to trust her. But I could trust her when I had the gun just as easily as I could trust her when she had the gun. So I took the gun.

Frankly, it means he could trust her even more, because he would have the gun.

Does that help.

zwxsnake

Chinese
    Can I interpret it like this: I am more inclined to trust her now(because of the sleep), but if I have the gun from now on, I would trust her even more than I trust her now?

Copyright

American English
    I think that's the underlying meaning, but on the surface, it's saying something straightforward (but we know there's an underlying meaning, which you describe). Like this example:

You and I are not friends, just good acquaintances. One day, we're walking along a path together and we find a gold bar. We decide we should sell it and share the money. I like you and I think I can trust you – whether you keep the gold bar until we can sell it, or I keep the gold bar.

Since I decide I can trust you either way, it doesn't make any difference who keeps the gold bar. And since it doesn't make any difference, I decide I'll keep it. :D

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >