I could understand your friend if he spoke more slowly

< Previous | Next >

I./KG40_Razor

Russian
I could understand your friend from Italy if he spoke more slowly
I think, that this sentense isn't correct (though my textbook tells it is), because according to the Subjunctive Mood construction there should be:
I would be able to understand your friend from Italy if he spoke more slowly.
Please, assure my suspicion

• confederater

Hungarian
    I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "Subjunctive Mood construction". I think both sentences are correct. Both sentences are Conditional Type 2. In the "if clause", we have simple past, and in the main claus we have

could + infinitive

and

would + be able to + infinitive

in your example sentences. I think they're both grammatical, and I understand both perfectly.

boozer

Bulgarian
    Yes, again, both sentences are just your average unremarkable members of the 2nd conditional family. Nothing subjunctive here.

I./KG40_Razor

Russian
    Nothing subjunctive here.
    The Subjunctive Mood is used in conditional sentences to express an unreal condition and an unreal consequence. Here in the principal clause we find the analytical subjunctive consisting of the mood auxiliary would and the Indefinite Infinitive.

boozer

Bulgarian
    The Subjunctive Mood is used in conditional sentences to express an unreal condition...
    Sometimes it is:
    If I were you, I wouldn't say that.

Here we have the subjunctive 'were'.

But not in your example, which is a normal 2nd conditional sentence in the conditional mood.

Obviously, I fundamentally disagree with what you have been taught. :) But that does not matter. What matters is that we are still able to communicate in English. (and Russian, but that is a different matter :) )

< Previous | Next >