I could warm up to the idea

EusebioKun

English
I am writing an essay about German identity. I use an article about a politician's decision to suggest giving horse meat to the poor.

The sentence reads:

"Ich lese heute Morgen einem Artikel „Pferde-Lasagne an Arme verteilen!“ Auf den ersten Blick, mag ich dieser Idee nicht, aber dann konnte ich mich doch dafür bekommen. Die Idee ist logisch."

My translation:

"Today I read an article called 'Distributing Horse-Lasagna to the poor.' At first glance, I did not like the idea, but then I could warm up to that. The idea is logical."

I originally had ". . . aberdann konnte ich mich doch dafür erwärmen" but my professor said that is wrong. How do I effectively express that after some thought, I began to understand or arrived/came up to liking the idea.

Thank you!

• Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello EusebioKun :)

"Ich habe heute Morgen einen Artikel „Pferde-Lasagne an Arme verteilen!“ gelesen. Auf den ersten Blick mochte ich diese Idee nicht, aber..."
    "... aber dann konnte ich mich doch dafür erwärmen" is what I would say. "Bekommen" can't be used here.

Another possibility: "... aber dann konnte ich der Idee doch etwas abgewinnen".

Last edited:

EusebioKun

English
    Hello EusebioKun :)

"... aber dann konnte ich mich doch dafür erwärmen" is what I would say. "Bekommen" can't be used here.

Another possibility: "... aber dann konnte ich der Idee doch etwas abgewinnen".

Hello! Thanks for the reply.

I'm glad you agree with my original sentence using "erwärmen." I swear, a lot of the language Professors here in America disagree just to disagree.

< Previous | Next >