I cursed Turd

Dilky Pathirana

Sinhala - Sri Lanka
Hi,

Can anyone help me to get the meaning of this sentence:

"As I had a bowl of cereal I cursed Turd."

Context: "Still, I woke and went to bed with Manolo on my mind, except that when I thought of him since he left, his new name was Turd. As I had a bowl of cereal I cursed Turd. I cursed him when I had my afternoon espresso and cognac."

Source: (Peel My Love Like an Onion)

Many thanks :)

• Copyright

American English
    It means that he cursed the renamed Manolo at various times during the day during routine activities, in this case, eating and drinking.

Dilky Pathirana

Sinhala - Sri Lanka
    No, it's not slang (and you don't need "a" before slang). It's a regular word used to mean an unpleasant person. If you look up the regular meaning you'll understand why.
    This guy called Manolo had used this girl in a bad way. (Later she "the narrator" nicknamed him as "Turd") And then he abandoned her. The narrator herself tries to describe the misery of her life as a flamenco dancer!

Barque

Tamil
    Just been looking it up.
    My impression was that it's a regular word with the meaning "a piece of excrement", and consequently is used as a term of abuse.
    I was surprised to see some online dictionaries classify it as slang in its regular meaning too; I didn't think that was the case. I see the Collins English Dictionary only calls it informal. It says that in American English it's now a "vulgar term". The Macmillan dictionary doesn't call it slang in its regular meaning either.
    guess you have haven't read this book too, so i don't think you can give any proper meaning for this!
    If only people who'd read the books that people quote from reply, there wouldn't be many answers on this forum.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I'm surprised to learn it's American slang and considered vulgar. I have the impression I've known it all my life. I have the idea I mentioned the meaning in an earlier thread.
    It is excrement but specifically a pile of it, like a dog deposits.
    "Two- legged turd!" is one of my favourite insults.

< Response to now-deleted post removed. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In modern American English, it’s slang, isn’t it? I’m sure slang words have all kinds of different origins. ;)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Slang started life as another word for the vulgar idiolect of the lower and or disreputable classes but became broadened to include speech that is very colloquial and considered substandard and which has neologisms or unique meanings of some words.

I don't think "turd" falls into either classification, as in earlier use it was not considered unusual, and now falls in much the same category as "damn".

The OED remarks of "turd" "Not now in polite use" but that was in 1915...

Dilky Pathirana

Sinhala - Sri Lanka
    I'm surprised to learn it's American slang and considered vulgar. I have the impression I've known it all my life. I have the idea I mentioned the meaning in an earlier thread.
    It is excrement but specifically a pile of it, like a dog deposits.
    "Two- legged turd!" is one of my favourite insults.

o_Oo_Oo_O
    Yes You did answered well ! So you're saying "Turd" is not just slang??

< Previous | Next >