I dared to breathe a little deeper

• Lucas Martin

Banned
    Mandarin
    Please post the sentence you are asking about, along with some context.
    uh..sorry for that. I overlooked the matter. The context are shown below.

As if by magic, a trio of bluegrass musicians appeared on the stage below us, tuning their instruments and playing songs. We sat, relishing the very first live music we’d heard in a year. Goosebumps marched up and down my arms, a sensation of kismet — new beginnings, hope, and possibility — that shivers through us when we’re lucky enough to feel it. I dared to breathe a little deeper.

Sat Ori

Portuguese
    uh..sorry for that. I overlooked the matter. The context are shown below.

As if by magic, a trio of bluegrass musicians appeared on the stage below us, tuning their instruments and playing songs. We sat, relishing the very first live music we’d heard in a year. Goosebumps marched up and down my arms, a sensation of kismet — new beginnings, hope, and possibility — that shivers through us when we’re lucky enough to feel it. I dared to breathe a little deeper.
    Hi!

I think that your interpretation is fine, friend.

Roxxxannne

American English (New England and NYC)
    text source:Essay | Circumambulating Mt. Tam in COVID Times - Bay Nature
    This sentence appears in the 5th paragraph from the bottom.Does it mean the author want to feel this feeling more deeply so she tried to deeply breathing? It is approximate to understand like this?
    Need your help.
    Many thanks!
    It doesn't quite mean that to me.

This was written about a day trip the author took to Mt. Tamalpais on January 1, 2021, which means she had been in lockdown, or a similar state, since about March 2020, in a big city where there is usually a lot of music and live entertainment.

When she encountered the bluegrass musicians, it was, as she said, the first time she'd heard live music for a long time. (Bluegrass is a lively, rhythmic kind of American music played on acoustic stringed instruments: fiddle, double bass, mandolin, guitar, etc. Musicians take turns with solos and the songs that accompany the music are sung in close harmony.) I don't think she was using it consciously as a way to experience the music more deeply, because the music was already affecting her deeply; it made the hair on her arms stand up on end. I think she meant that she realized that she was finally able to relax after several months of enduring Covid.

Lucas Martin

Banned
    Mandarin

This was written about a day trip the author took to Mt. Tamalpais on January 1, 2021, which means she had been in lockdown, or a similar state, since about March 2020, in a big city where there is usually a lot of music and live entertainment.

When she encountered the bluegrass musicians, it was, as she said, the first time she'd heard live music for a long time. (Bluegrass is a lively, rhythmic kind of American music played on acoustic stringed instruments: fiddle, double bass, mandolin, guitar, etc. Musicians take turns with solos and the songs that accompany the music are sung in close harmony.) I don't think she was using it consciously as a way to experience the music more deeply, because the music was already affecting her deeply; it made the hair on her arms stand up on end. I think she meant that she realized that she was finally able to relax after several months of enduring Covid.
    Crystal clear now! You help me sooo much! Words fail to express my feeling of enlightenment.

Lyndon Jie

Chinese

Goosebumps means hair in here?

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern

________

When your hair on your skin 'stands on end' because you are cold or excited or frightened and the skin shows little lumps because of this, these are 'goosebumps'. UKers also call them 'goose pimples'. (2 words).

Lyndon Jie

Chinese

________

When your hair on your skin 'stands on end' because you are cold or excited or frightened and the skin shows little lumps because of this, these are 'goosebumps'. UKers also call them 'goose pimples'. (2 words).
    Thank you, I'm clear. it's a physical reaction on our skin by emotional or temperature changes.

Angela Tian

Chinese

Wow!!!That really made me more clear about this text!!! Thanks~~

Qingyuan Cui

Chinese
    Hi, guys! I am wondering the grammatical structure of the sentence" Goosebumps marched up and down my arms, a sensation of kismet — new beginnings, hope, and possibility — that shivers through us when we’re lucky enough to feel it." What is the second part of this sentence, that is "a sensationof kismet — new beginnings, hope, and possibility — that shivers through us when we’re lucky enough to feel it." Is it an appositive? And one more question, why "when" is used here?

Roxxxannne

American English (New England and NYC)
    I'm not sure whether the phrase is technically an appositive. The goosebumps are her physical reaction to the internal sensation of kismet that she feels.
    'When' is acting as the usual introductory word for a temporal adverbial clause. If you want to ask more about 'when', please start a new thread.