I decided to buy a chocolate ice cream but now it's melted and I must buy a new shirt.

SFR

English
Grüezi.

I'm an expat Brit living in Zürich now. I studied German at school for a couple of years so it's pretty rusty, but I'm trying to improve my high German. In none of the my textbooks or on here (bar a closed thread) can I find a good answer to multiple verbs in the Hochdeutsch sentence. Two verbs I'm happy with be it perfect, present & modal or future but the problem I have is understanding 2 verbs at the end of the sentence (should they both be infinitive?) and the importance of their order.

Could someone please suggest the below 4 setences so I can better understnad in each situation (unless there is an overarching rule?). Danke vielmal.

E.g.
< ... >
4) I decided to buy a chocolate ice cream but now it's melted and I must buy a new shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Riverplatense

German — Austria
    Ich entschloss mich, ein Schokoladeneis zu kaufen, doch nun ist es geschmolzen und ich muss ein neues Shirt kaufen.

Frank78

German
    Basically the first modal is finite and the second and the main verb infinite.

Ich kaufe mir ein neues Shirt.
    Ich muss mir ein neues Shirt kaufen.
    Ich hätte mir ein neues Shirt kaufen müssen.

SFR

English
    Ich entschloss mich, ein Schokoladeneis zu kaufen, doch nun ist es geschmolzen und ich muss ein neues Shirt kaufen.
    So from the above "doch nun ist es geschmolzen und ich muss ein neues Shirt kaufen." stands out because it seems you can have a complete first setence which would normally end with a fullstop joined to another complete setence with und. Is that always the case?

Ich bin da gekommen und ich habe ein Schokoladeneis gekauft.

< Previous | Next >