I did my ponytail a little bit ahead

English nerd

Hindi
A person did a side ponytail. But by mistake, she did it a little bit closer to her forehead than she should've. (I actually can't find a natural way to express it and myself......)

I did my ponytail a little bit ahead.

I know "a little bit ahead" doesn't sound natural, but please help me out....
Thank you:)

• owlman5

English-US
    I am not sure that anything will sound entirely natural in a remark about the wrong position of a ponytail on the side of her head. Maybe it would make sense to say it was "a little too far to the front on the side of her head." That isn't an ordinary thing to say, but it should be at least somewhat understandable.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I just checked the dictionary (and with my wife) and find that a pony tail is (usually) at the back of the head and that a bunch on the side is either "a bunch" or a pigtail etc.

English nerd

Hindi
    It's sometimes called 'a side-ponytail".... but anyway it was "by mistake". (Actually it happens by mistake, sometimes)

owlman5

English-US
    It's always wise to confer with an authority, Julian, before you attempt to comment on a subject where some experience that you don't have may be necessary.:D

I changed my mind, EN. "A little bit ahead" is too confusing and not specific enough. I suggested a halfway reasonable phrase to use in post #2. It isn't always easy to express the precise location of things in English.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It's always wise to confer with an authority, Julian, before you attempt to comment on a subject where some experience may be necessary.:D
    Precisely why I included the word "usually" : I know my usage and my wife's usage agreed with the dictionary but realize other people have wrong* different usages :D (In my youth I had hair long enough for a ponytail and it was always straight back, never to one side:))

*Where is the tail on a pony? :eek:

owlman5

English-US
    *Where is the tail on a pony?
    :D In roughly the same spot on a pony as it is on a pig.

I'll stick my neck out and venture a guess that a "side ponytail" refers to one longish "pigtail" on one side of a woman's head. I'm pretty sure that I've notice this practice at least a couple of times before.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    :D In roughly the same spot on a pony as it is on a pig.

I'll stick my neck out and venture a guess that a "side ponytail" refers to one longish "pigtail" on one side of a woman's head. I'm pretty sure that I've notice this practice at least a couple of times before.
    Yup, a side "ponytail" is unlikely to be at the back :)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I did my ponytail a little bit ahead.
    When reading this, I think "a little bit ahead" means "a little bit earlier in time". I don't think "ahead" is ever used to mean "in a forward position on the head".

I might say "I made my ponytail in the wrong spot." or "I made my ponytail too far forward."

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with dojibear's "too far forward."
    It works because they already know it is a side ponytail. Otherwise, you would have to add that information to your description.

< Previous | Next >