I did vs. I have done

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mnc, Sep 1, 2010.

1. mnc Member

hindi
    Hi,
    Something is to be cleared''What is the difference between ''

I have met my friend and i met my friend
    I have take my meal and i took my meal

giving you huge thanks

2. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    There is no difference: I have met my friend and i met my friend

There is no such conjugation as "I have take." If you say, "I have taken my meal and I took my meal," there would be no difference.

i is capitalized.

3. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    As Harry has pointed out, you mean I have taken.

I have met is in the tense called the present perfect.
    I met is in the tense called the simple past.

There is a great difference between the way we use these two tenses.

There are many threads on this topic. Try putting simple past or present perfect into the dictionary box at the top of this page and you'll have a wide choice.

Here's a thread you may find useful, and it contains a helpful link:

difference between simple past and present perfect tense

4. le pamplemousse d'or

le pamplemousse d'or Member

U.S.A.
    English - U.S.A
    "took" and "met" alone can be used to tell a story in past tense, if that makes sense.

"have met" and "have taken" (it's "taken", by the way :D) are too vague to be used in a story kind of way.

For example:

I went into the cafeteria and took my tray. I sat down and spoke to my friends.

This sounds natural and perfectly fine.

Whereas:

I've gone into the cafeteria and have taken my tray. I've sat down and have spoken with my friends.

It sounds awkward and not at all like a story. It sounds very vague about when the events happened. The events in the second example did not necessarily happen on the same day or in that order. And while the first example sounds like it could happen again ("I took my tray yesterday. I'm taking my tray again, now.") the second example implies that these are all former actions that the narrator no longer does, or no longer does in the same way ("I've taken my tray in the past, but I don't do that anymore.")

I hope that made sense! And helped! :D

Edit: The first example also implies that the events happened in chronological order in the same general time period.

5. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    That's interesting and helpful, Pamplemousse. When do you reckon we say have taken then?

6. le pamplemousse d'or

le pamplemousse d'or Member

U.S.A.
    English - U.S.A
    "I have taken chances in the past, but now I've decided it's too risky."

Maybe? That's a good question... I just don't use "present perfect" (I only know the French name :() that frequently.

7. m0nchichi

m0nchichi Senior Member

I also have a question:

I have done this before myself.

I did this before myself.

What is the difference?

EDIT: I'll give you some context. This is what I wrote on a medical board for people who seek help for skin conditions.

You need to use a 2mm roller or longer and only roll every 6 to 8 weeks. And you need the right derma roller as well. I got one needling done by a professional and my scars improved drastically. I did one myself before as well and nothing really changed. Go and seek help from a trained professional.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  8. miba54 Senior Member

England
    English - British
    I think you can use either in that context.