I didn't even consider smoky-bacon Monday

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Puls and Mac are in a grocery store choosing products. Mac:
-- I'm not sure if this is a cheese-and-onion Wednesday sort of day or a salt-and-vinegar Friday.
-- It is actually Friday.
-- Sometimes you're disappointingly literal. Oh, my God! I didn't even consider smoky-bacon Monday!
The Fades, TV series

How would you understand this? And, I mean, especially the absence of the indefinite article, because it is there before Wednesday and Friday. Thank you.

• heypresto

English - England
    Cheese-and-onion, salt-and-vinegar, and smoky bacon are flavours of potato crisps.

The absence of the article is entirely natural. Including it would sound odd.

Minnesota Guy

American English - USA
    Smoky-bacon Monday feels like the name of a special day--in this case, a personal coinage. But these days don't take articles: Today is Ash Wednesday, Black Friday, Throwback Thursday, etc.

In the first line, the first a applies to sort. Perhaps the second a applies to an (unstated) sort, or else is there for the sake of parallelism? It feels natural, in any case.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Smoky-bacon Monday feels like the name of a special day--in this case, a personal coinage. But these days don't take articles: Today is Ash Wednesday, Black Friday, Throwback Thursday, etc.

In the first line, the first a applies to sort. Perhaps the second a applies to an (unstated) sort, or else is there for the sake of parallelism? It feels natural, in any case.
    He says "if this is a (.....) sort of day or a (....). Friday. (................) consider smoky-bacon Monday!"

My guessing:
    "This" refers to today's day of week. They already have established flavours for each day of week. And Mac is not sure which day is today.

It's like:
    Is today a Wednesday when we eat cheese-and-onion? Or a Friday when we eat salt-and-vinegar?

Am I right?:)

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    You are correct in your thinking about article use. The day-flavour association I think may come from an old advertising campaign. Here however his uncertainty is not what day it is but which flavour he wants. If it "feels" like a Friday then regardless of what day it actually is he will choose Salt & Vinegar, and so on.

heypresto

English - England
    You are correct in your thinking about article use. The day-flavour association I think may come from an old advertising campaign. Here however his uncertainty is not what day it is but which flavour he wants. If it "feels" like a Friday then regardless of what day it actually is he will choose Salt & Vinegar, and so on.
    :thumbsup:

I'm off for some lunch - today is chocolate cake Friday. :D

heypresto

English - England
    Yes. I think so. It's just the name I gave to today. Next Friday it might be Carrot Cake Friday - who knows?

(I made a chocolate cake yesterday, so it was Chocolate Cake Thursday, and it will also be Chocolate Cake Saturday. And Sunday - probably.) :D

< Previous | Next >