I didn't forget you / I haven't forgotten you.

< Previous | Next >

Imladris

Turkey - Turkish
Tears in my eyes
Pain in my heart
I didn't forget you / I haven't forgotten you.

Hi,

These are the lines of a Turkish song. Would you use past simple or present perfect in the third line?

I would say the present perfect makes sense as the memory of hers is still vivid, though a native viewpoint is required.

• W.T.

Français
    Hi
    I have a doubt about if I have to use 'didn't forget' or 'haven't forgotten' in the following sentence;
    I didn't forget/haven't forgotten that you'll be there tomorrow. (BrE)
    Can you help me please? Thanks!

Biffo

English - England
    British English

I didn't forget that you were there yesterday. (The lack of forgetting took place yesterday)

I haven't forgotten that you'll be there tomorrow. (The lack of forgetting is current today)

Loob

English UK
    I have a doubt about if I have to use 'didn't forget' or 'haven't forgotten' in the following sentence;
    I didn't forget/haven't forgotten that you'll be there tomorrow. (BrE)
    Well, panj's answer is still correct.

Of your two options, I find "I didn't forget that you'll be there tomorrow" really rather strange, W.T.

Though I suppose that there might be situations in which it could work. (You gave us no context:(.)

W.T.

Français
    (You gave us no context:(.)
    The entire sentence would be; I haven't forgotten/didn't forget that you will be in Paris tomorrow. I'll be there too! See you there?

But now, my message has to be changed. What about; I haven't forgotten that you're in Paris today. Me too! See you (here) today/tonight?

Is that work here?
    Because the lack of forgetting is current today.

Or maybe it's better to use "remember"? - Something like; I remember that, today, you're in Paris, and I am (here) too! See you today/tonight? / Wanna meet up?

What do you think?

< Previous | Next >