I didn't get/have a mobile for ages

Saltie

Russian, Russia, Sochi
Hi!
It's from a textbook ('Face 2 Face'):
'I didn't get a mobile for ages, but now I don't think I could live without one.'
What does the speaker mean exactly by 'I didn't get ...'? That a long time ago mobiles didn't exist, so the speaker didn't have it? Or that the speaker just didn't want to buy it/couldn't afford it for a long time, but then he/she did buy it and now can't live without it?

And can we say 'I didn't have a mobile for ages' instead? Would it mean the same?

• sound shift

English - England
    "I didn't get a mobile for ages" suggests that I didn't buy my first mobile phone until mobile phones had been available for a long time.

"I didn't have a mobile for ages" just means that there was a long period when I didn't have a mobile phone.

So they are not exactly the same.

Saltie

Russian, Russia, Sochi
    Thanks a lot, Sound shift! But now I need your help with this phrase:rolleyes::
    I didn't buy my first mobile phone until mobile phones had been available for a long time.
    Does it mean that
    a) mobile phones had already been available for quite a long time, but I didn't buy one, and I didn't buy one, and then, at last, I bought one;
    or
    b) mobile phones didn't exist for a long time, then they appeared, and I bought one?

PS
    Sorry for my English!:(

< Previous | Next >