I didn't see it coming

• moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    Elisa

Ho il vantaggio di sapere a cosa ti riferisci;) La differenza è che I didn't see it coming riguarda sempre qualcosa di negativo (o almeno penso) mentre non l'avrei mai immaginato può anche riguardare una buona notizia.
    A question for native speakers: can I didn't see it coming only refer to something that affects you personally? If your neighbours split up can you still say I didn't see it coming?

lsp

NY
    US, English
    moodywop said:
    If your neighbours split up can you still say I didn't see it coming?
    Absolutely yes, and I also believe there's no reason it can't refer to a positive. EXAMPLE: My boss gave me huge praise in the meeting, and we had been arguing before so I surely didn't see that coming!

DAH

USA/California--English
    moodywop said:
    La differenza è che I didn't see it coming riguarda sempre qualcosa di negativo (o almeno penso) mentre non l'avrei mai immaginato può anche riguardare una buona notizia.
    A question for native speakers: can I didn't see it coming only refer to something that affects you personally? If your neighbours split up can you still say I didn't see it coming?
    Most of the time, the phrase speaks to a negative situation, however, there are times when it is used to the contrary, i.e., to express a pleasant surprise.

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    Thank you Lsp, Dah and Moogey for clarifying in which contexts this phrase can be used.

The reason I thought it might refer mainly to negative events is that it sounds like the kind of thing you would say after a car hit you (or what a dizzy goalkeeper might say:) ).

My trusted Longman dictionary turned out to be misleading this time:eek: :

see something coming to realize that there is going to be a problem before it actually happens:
    John's going to have a lot of trouble with him. You can see it coming.

What about he should have seen it coming, though? I would imagine this would mostly refer to something unpleasant, wouldn't it?

This phrase reminds me of a similar one which I remember hearing quite often in England (it's not listed in the dictionary, though): he had it coming (to him). Again, wouldn't this always refer to something negative? With the added implication that the guy got what he deserved?

lsp

NY
    US, English
    moodywop said:
    he had it coming (to him). Again, wouldn't this always refer to something negative? With the added implication that the guy got what he deserved?
    I think it's almost always used in the negative, but not prohibited (nor destined to be misunderstood) in the positive.

Tellure

Italian
    Forse con una frase intera ed un co-testo è più facile:

My current situation, in literary terms, would thus be an example of peripeteia. Family one moment, no family the next. I didn't see it coming, nobody else saw it coming, but when I sit down and really think about it, it was inevitable. My parents divorced because they were too far apart all the time;
    dur.ac.uk

In questo caso, per esempio, "non me l'aspettavo" potrebbe andare, credo. O magari anche "non me ne sono accorto"????

< Previous | Next >