I do not know... [verb tense]

dwni

Bulgarian
Hello ! I want to ask whether I can use all the tanses after wh words

I do not know which team won the world cup last year.
I do not know who will win the world cup next year.
I do not know who is going to make some coffee for me.
I do not know who will have done his homework by this time tomorrow.

Are they all correct ?
And what about past simple tense? What tenses can I use after wh words when I use past simple tense ?

<Additional question has been given its own thread, and additional example sentences removed, by moderator (Florentia52)>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    All verb tenses, aspects and voices can be used with all wh-words, whether they’re pronouns (e.g. which, who, what) or adverbs (e.g. why, when, where). They all serve different grammatical purposes.

dwni

Bulgarian
    Thank you very much. I have two more questions. 1 Can I use all the tances after whether/if when I use present simple in the first part of the sentence? for example I do not know whether/if he has done/ did /is going to do/will have done his homework. 2 what tensess should I use after who words and whether/if when I use past simple tense in the first part of the sentence? For instance I did not know who/which/what /whether/if verb tense.

lingobingo

English - England
    The context determines what tenses you should use. There’s no restriction.

What it is that you don’t know now may be in the past, present or future. You have to choose your tenses accordingly. Likewise, what it is that you didn’t know in the past may have been in the past, present or future in relation to whatever past time reference applies.

For example:
    I don’t know if he went/has gone/is going/will be going on holiday.​
    I didn’t know if he had gone/was going/would be going on holiday.​

dwni

Bulgarian
    The context determines what tenses you should use. There’s no restriction.

What it is that you don’t know now may be in the past, present or future. You have to choose your tenses accordingly. Likewise, what it is that you didn’t know in the past may have been in the past, present or future in relation to whatever past time reference applies.

For example:
    I don’t know if he went/has gone/is going/will be going on holiday.​
    I didn’t know if he had gone/was going/would be going on holiday.​
    Thank you very much! Do the same rules apply to that clause and relative clauses? For instance I do/did not know that verb tense. I tell/told people who/that verb tense ?

lingobingo

English - England
    There is no rule. You simply use whichever tense or tenses convey your meaning – whatever the construction.

dwni

Bulgarian
    There is no rule. You simply use whichever tense or tenses convey your meaning – whatever the construction.
    I will tell the people who have made some coffee for me that I did not have any coffee left yesterday . Is it correct ?

lingobingo

English - England
    Sorry, but there’s no sensible answer to the question “is this correct?” when it’s applied to a bizarre/illogical sentence like that.

If you have another specific grammatical query, please open a new thread for it.