I do offer (emphatic)

nightwolfbg

Bulgarian
Hello,
I am hoping my thread is not a duplicate.
I'm wondering about the following sentences and in general:
"I do offer daily updates" vs "I offer daily updates"
"I do post daily" vs "I post daily"
etc
I am torn and confused, because I have a friend from a posh British family, he told me "I do offer.." does not sound grammatically correct to him. Also told me it is not right to express "empathy" with "Do". However, I am following a popular Canadian teacher website and her lessons (she also has an youtube channel). She used "I do offer..." herself in the following sentence: "Yes, I do offer private lessons."
On top of that we have Cambridge dictionary and they have a page about "do as an auxiliary verb and the emphatic usage".
My main language is Bulgarian and It is extremely hard to understand English grammar. Can you please shed some light on my question?
Thank you in advance.

• nightwolfbg

Bulgarian
    Your friend is wrong. :)
    I'm not negotiating with you, but I would prefer an answer from a native British.
    My UK friend has an upper class accent (definitely) and He went to a private school. As I said He is from a Posh family and judging from his accent, he definitely belongs to British upper class.
    I do not say he could not be wrong, but knowing his background it is hard to think he might be wrong.
    Also without proper arguments and explanation your post is useless. I am sorry to say this, but I was hoping someone would take the time and explain to me.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    It's all to do with context, nightwolfbg.

Said in isolation, "I do offer daily updates" sounds very strange indeed - and that will be why your friend is telling you it's wrong.

Said in the right context, "I do offer daily updates" is 100% natural and correct:).

suzi br

English / England
    I think your posh friend is not an expert in analysing language, or his comment is too specific to one context and doesn't take in to account that other contexts are possible. Being Posh does not, in itself, make someone a language expert. :rolleyes:
    Grassy studies the subject and has given you the right answer. Your friend is wrong because there are cases where we DO use "do" for emphasis.
    The Cambridge dictionary has already told you this.

e.g.
    I offer daily updates is the normal way to make a statement about something. If someone argues with that, we could refute the argument by adding DO.

A. I post daily.
    B. Except when you don't!
    A. Cheeky. I certainly DO post daily.

A. I like cycling.
    B. I've never seen you on a bike.
    A. I DO like cycling, but you're never around to see it.

Or in the youtubecontext:
    A. Do you offer private lessons?
    B Yes I do offer (private lessons /that service).

-------------------

I don't know what you mean about expressing empathy. Can you give us an example?

nightwolfbg

Bulgarian
    I think your posh friend is not an expert in analysing language, or his comment is too specific to one context and doesn't take in to account that other contexts are possible. Being Posh does not, in itself, make someone a language expert. :rolleyes:
    Grassy studies the subject and has given you the right answer. Your friend is wrong because there are cases where we DO use "do" for emphasis.
    The Cambridge dictionary has already told you this.

e.g.
    I offer daily updates is the normal way to make a statement about something. If someone argues with that, we could refute the argument by adding DO.

A. I post daily.
    B. Except when you don't!
    A. Cheeky. I certainly DO post daily.

A. I like cycling.
    B. I've never seen you on a bike.
    A. I DO like cycling, but you're never around to see it.

Or in the youtubecontext:
    A. Do you offer private lessons?
    B Yes I do offer (private lessons /that service).

-------------------

I don't know what you mean about expressing empathy. Can you give us an example?
    @Suzi_br:Thank you very much. After your post I can finally make a difference and understand how to use "do" - "to make the verb more emphatic". Appreciate that you have taken the time to explain the difference to me.

suzi br

English / England
    OK - I think there was a bit of a spelling / typo issue. I thought you meant empathy, put you meant emphatic! :D Easy slip to make.

I DO make a lot of errors myself, so I should have thought of that!

:)

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    You would also use "do" to express a contrast of some kind, especially to a spoken or implied "don't":

Customer: Do you sell linen handkerchiefs?
    Clerk: Unfortunately, no, but we do have some very good quality cotton handkerchiefs that you might like instead.

< Previous | Next >