I do this road twice a month.

srknpower

Turkish
I do this road twice a month.<-----Example sentence added to post by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Does this sentence mean that somebody uses that road to travel? Is “do” together with “road” colloquial?

For example,

I do that road twice a month to return to my home city.
If not, how can I convey the same idea?
Is “I use that road twice a month.” fine?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Uncle Jack

British English
    'Do that road' sounds fine to my British ears. You need to be a little careful with usage: I wouldn't say that I 'do' the A66 on my journey to work every day, but if you were to ask me if I'd ever been over Hartside to Alston, I might reply 'Oh yes, I do that road two or three times a year.'.

london calling

UK English
    'Do that road' sounds fine to my British ears. You need to be a little careful with usage: I wouldn't say that I 'do' the A66 on my journey to work every day, but if you were to ask me if I'd ever been over Hartside to Alston, I might reply 'Oh yes, I do that road two or three times a year.'.
    I would use it in that context too, but not in the context of the OP.;)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I do that road twice a month to return to my home city.
    "Use" is particularly good in this sentence, because it fits the pattern "I use A to do B" (I use A for the purpose of B). For the purpose of returning to my home city, I use a car and I use that road.

I was going to suggest "drive" (I drive that road twice a month...). Using either "drive" or "take", the emphasis is on which road you choose, out of 2 or 3 or more roads that go to your home city.

srknpower

Turkish
    Thank you. So you think the sentence “I do that road twice a year.” is fine.

"Use" is particularly good in this sentence, because it fits the pattern "I use A to do B" (I use A for the purpose of B). For the purpose of returning to my home city, I use a car and I use that road.

I was going to suggest "drive" (I drive that road twice a month...). Using either "drive" or "take", the emphasis is on which road you choose, out of 2 or 3 or more roads that go to your home city.
    Thank you, would “use” be meaningful in the sentence “I use that road twice a year.”? Here there is no purpose, just a road I regularly drive.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Americans would say, "I do that drive twice a week" or "I drive that route/road twice a week".

In Los Angeles I think you could get away with "doing" just about anything. :D "We'll do the 101 and then do the backloop to the 405 to Mulholland and do our gig."

Thank you, would “use” be meaningful in only “I use that road twice a day.”?
    I would say "take that road".

srknpower

Turkish
    Americans would say, "I do that drive twice a week" or "I drive that route/road twice a week".

In Los Angeles I think you could get away with "doing" just about anything. :D "We'll do the 101 and then do the backloop to the 405 to Mulholland and do our gig."

I would say "take that road".
    Thank you.
    But maybe I am taking a bus, if so can I still say “drive”?

Last edited:

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    But maybe I am taking a bus, if so can I say “drive”?
    Definitely not "drive" unless you are sitting behind the steering wheel.

Informally you could say: I go that route twice a day.
    Neutral: I take that route twice a day.

Otherwise you would have to spell things out and explain exactly what you mean. "I'm on this road twice a day with the bus I take." "The bus I take twice daily follows this route."

Uncle Jack

British English
    Thank you. So you think the sentence “I do that road twice a year.” is fine.
    It isn't the frequency you use the road that is important, but the context in which you say or write it. I'd love to give some examples, but I'm finding it devilishly tricky to pin down. There are some cases where 'do that road' sounds natural, and many where it definitely does not, but I haven't worked out a rule I can tell you.

It doesn't necessarily mean driving; you could be a passenger in a car or bus, or (if you didn't use 'road'), a train or on foot.

< Previous | Next >