I don’t give a rooster’s doodle-doo

< Previous | Next >

ktm

Can anyone help me to understand the phrase "I don’t give a rooster’s doodle-doo" in the context as follows?
One girl decided to send very unconventional petition do the Governor of Macao. The other looked at her with rather quellig way and tried to stop her.
The scene took place in Portuguese colony Macao (near Hong Kong in 1928), but I know whether this information isn't important in this case.
---
“Are you sure you want to go through with this? I mean, it’s not really the done thing to confront the Governor. There are rules and conventions…”
“Phooey! I don’t give a rooster’s doodle-doo about conventions and anyway, it’s too late. I’ve already sent copies to the Governor and his ministers.

• se16teddy

English - England
    I don't give a damn about X means I don't care about X / X does not matter to me / for me X is unimportant or irrelevant. I suppose the idea is I care so little about X that I can't even be bothered to say out of irritation 'Damn X'.

The idiom has a million variants featuring words other than damn, ranging from the euphemistic to the obscene; and everyone is free to make up their own as the speaker did here. If you google "I don't give a" you'll find lots of colourful versions.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >