I don’t mind how I get on

vkhu

Vietnamese
[The context here is a dialogue commenting on not being able to walk properly]
Mr. Reuben Hayes’s manner was far from gracious, but Holmes took it with admirable good humour.

“Look here, my man,” said he. “This is really rather an awkward fix for me. I don’t mind how I get on.”

“Neither do I,” said the morose landlord.

“The matter is very important. I would offer you a sovereign for the use of a bicycle.”
[Quoted text reduced to the permitted maximum - DonnyB - moderator]

I find that part in bold really awkwardly phrased. At first I thought Holmes said he's willing to take any means of transportation, as long as he can get out of his "fix" (he's faking a sprained ankle), but then the landlord's answer would just seem out of place with that meaning.

So is there any other way to interpret that?

SOURCE: The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (THE ADVENTURE OF THE PRIORY SCHOOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    It’s an obsolete phrasing. But by “get on” he just means proceed (literally/physically) — he doesn’t care how he manages to get to wherever he’s going, but he needs some kind of transport. The usage survives in idioms such as: I must be getting on/along / Time is getting on.

vkhu

Vietnamese
    The conversation still sound strange. It's basically like this:

Holmes: "Man, I'm in a bind. I need to get a move on, no matter what."

Landlord: "Yeah, me too."
    Why would the landlord reply like that? It just doesn't make any sense. He's doesn't need to go anywhere.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    "I don't mind how I get on." -- "I don't care what form of transportation I use."
    "Neither do I." -- "I don't care, either." -- The landlord is not inclined to offer any help. He doesn't care if the "injured" ankle forces Holmes to crawl to his destination.

< Previous | Next >