I done come up

DR.NO

KSA
ARABIC
I read a lyrics of the singer 50 cent

he saied ( I done came up )

Moderator Edit: Please do not use inappropriate language in your posts. Discussion of swear or cuss words (profane language) is fine.

what does it mean ??

• konungursvia

Banned
    Canada (English)
    It is Black or African-American English. "I done + verb" was the early 'pidgin' or 'creole' form of the past tense in Afro-American English. Now it's still in fairly common use, often with the redundant standard past participle also expressing the past quality of the verb. Here he uses it just for euphony (poetic meter in particular).

DR.NO

KSA
    ARABIC
    the artist is ( G-unit ) name of song ( poppin' them thangs )

can you also explain the title ( poppin' them thangs )

Not Logged In

Banned
    England
    "My flow, my show brought me the dough
    That bought me all my fancy things
    My crib, my cars, my clothes, my jewels
    Look nigga I done came up and I ain't change."

I have come up from where I was down in the gutter/ghetto (done well for myself) but I haven't changed.

Similar sentiment to the Jennifer Lopez lyric:

"Had a little got a lot, I'm still Jenny from the block".

fenixpollo

American English
    Nigga you can front if you want, we be poppin’ them thangs
    He's telling another black person that they are free to act in an arrogant way (to front), but that the singer is going to shoot (to pop -> popping -> poppin') his guns (those things -> them things -> them thangs) at the arrogant person.
    Now take a look at how my lifestyle changed up.
    I’m on now, god damn it I done came up.
    He is asking us to see his new lifestyle. When a poor person rises out of poverty and becomes rich, you can say that he "comes up". The "done" is only for emphasis.

Cheers.

Not Logged In

Banned
    England
    I read a lyrics of the singer 50 cent

he saied ( I done came up )

Moderator Edit: Please do not use inappropriate language in your posts. Discussion of swear or cuss words is fine.

what does it mean ??

Interesting. 'Cuss' is not used in Britain other than in jest as a parody of AE. Here, is it used as a euphemism or a spelling of a vernacular mispronunciation particularly in this context of African American song lyrics?