I don't know who is the person who said it

• Biffo

English - England
    Could you tell me please which words order is correct?

I don't know who is the person who said it.
    I don't know who the person is who said it.

Thank you.
    I agree that you have too many words. Let's choose between "I don't know who is the person" and I don't know who the person is.

Example

Mary: Who is the person who just walked past?
    John: I don't know who the person is. :tick:
    John: I don't know who is the person. :cross:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    " I don't know who said it." is how I'd put it. The extra words are unnecessary and awkward.
    Maybe the difference is::confused:
    I don't know who said it
    - I haven't heard about/seen/know this person.
    I don't know who is the person that said it - I know who said it but I don't know what kind of man that person is.

Biffo

English - England
    Maybe the difference is::confused:
    I don't know who said it
    - I haven't heard about/seen/know this person.
    I don't know who is the person that said it - I know who said it but I don't know what kind of man that person is.
    There is no difference in the meaning. The second one just has a lot of extra and unnecessary words to say exactly the same thing. No native English speaker would say it unless possibly for emphasis, e.g. I don't know WHO is the person that said it.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    unless possibly for emphasis, e.g. I don't know WHO is the person that said it.
    And this phrase still describes "I haven't heard about/seen/know this person", not "I know who said it but I don't know what kind of man that person is", right?

e2efour

UK English
    Why would you want to use this unidiomatic way of speaking?
    Use I don't know who said it or the redundant variant I don't know who the person who said it is.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    None of them mean that. They all mean simply "I don't know who said it"
    Why would you want to use this unidiomatic way of speaking?
    Use I don't know who said it or the redundant variant I don't know who the person who said it is.
    E.g.
    A teacher heard that a pupil just now said a dirty word. She turns to the class and asks: "Who said that? Mike, maybe it's you who did it?" "No, it wasn't I, and I don't know who said it"
    Another case:
    A teacher: "Who's written this dirty word on the blackboard?" A pupil: "It's a boy. He entered the class, wrote this word and left the class." "Who is that boy?" "I don't know who that boy who wrote it is"
    Am I wrong?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    A teacher heard that a pupil just now said a dirty word. She turns to the class and asks: "Who said that? Mike, maybe it's you who did it?" "No, it wasn't I, and I don't know who said it."
    Fine.
    Another case:
    A teacher: "Who's written this dirty word on the blackboard?" A pupil: "It 's was a boy. He entered the classroom, wrote this word and left the class room." "Who is that boy?" "I don't know who that boy who wrote it is."
    The phrase "who wrote it" is unnecessary. You could also simply say, "I don't know who he is."

< Previous | Next >