I don't know whose house it will be at

ramonunodos

American English
This is in context to a party, where we are not sure whose house we are meeting at.

Would it be correct to say:

"我不知道谁的房子在(里?)“ 还是 ”。。。 什么房子在(里?)“

Thanks!

• Lucia_zwl

Chinese (Mandarin)
    Where are we meeting?--我们在哪里见面?/我们在哪儿见?
    Whose house are we meeting at?-- 我们在谁家见?
    I don't know whose house we are meeting at.-- 我不知道我们在谁家见。

Remember the word order... and then just replace the underlined part:)

EDIT: As for "whose house", I prefer to say 谁家. e.g. "Let's meet at my house."--在我家见吧!
    If you say "我的房子", I would take it as you have bought this house and own it.

Last edited:

zxh1828

Chinese(mandarin)
    It would be acceptable to say 我不知道在谁的房子里见面 But I'd just simply say 我不知道在谁家见(面).

Also,it is better to say 家 instead of 房子 in this case.

yuechu

Canada, English
    If you said "我们在谁家见(面)", would it sound natural too? (or is the 的 usually left out here?)
    Thanks!

zhg

Chinese
    Baosheng,In that case you'll need 里 after 谁的家"谁的家里 "(because both 谁and 家are one syllable words usually we don't put 的between two single syllable words, of course there are exceptions but what I can assure you is that 的 does not sound natural here )or you can just simply leave 的 out.

Edit :The rule is very complicate ,(by complicate I mean sometimes you will find it won't work for many phrases )so you need to be careful when aplying this experience-based rule.

This is a pronoun+noun structure not the adj+noun structure .The rule only applys to the latter stucture.My apology
    @Luizazwl
    I also say 我书落在了学校里没带回家 你钱够不够花 我笔夹在了上衣口袋里
    I think we are off the topic shouldn't we open another thread for this question?

Last edited:

Lucia_zwl

Chinese (Mandarin)
    If you said "我们在谁家见(面)", would it sound natural too? (or is the 的 usually left out here?)
    Thanks!
    的 is usually left out here.

EDIT
    @zhg: I just read your post #5 again. I don't know why 的 is usually left out here, but I don't think it's because of the syllable.
    We do say 这是谁的书我的笔找不到了,你的钱掉了...and there are many other examples...

Last edited:

SuperXW

的 is usually left out here.

EDIT
    @zhg: I just read your post #5 again. I don't know why 的 is usually left out here, but I don't think it's because of the syllable.
    We do say 这是谁的书我的笔找不到了,你的钱掉了...and there are many other examples...
    I think 家 is kind of a special concept, different to 笔 or 钱. Your can always switch or lose your 笔 or 钱, but basically you can't switch or lose your 家.
    That's why people connect 你家, 我家, 他/她家 and don't usually use 的.
    I think in English, the concept is also kind of special. For example, "home" can be an adjective or adverb, while other nouns can't.
    You say "go home", "take it home", "I'm home" etc, but you never say "go park", "take it park", "I'm park"...

< Previous | Next >