I don't last long when I drink.

Cortessss

Czech
<< Topic sentence: I don't last long when I drink. >>

Hi, I would like to ask you if this sentence is correct. I know that "I don't last long in bed." is correct, but is it all right to use it with alcohol as well (not that I would need to use the one with the bed :D)?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Cloudchamber

English- New York, United States
    I suppose you could say "I don't last long when drinking alcohol" but it isn't a known, often-employed expression the way "I don't last long in bed" is.

Instead, most people say "I can't handle my alcohol" or "I can't hold my liquor." That's the most colloquial phrasing that comes to mind. You also say "I have a very low alcohol tolerance."

Cortessss

Czech
    Oh, no! That is not what I meant, but I can see your confusion. By "I don't last long when I drink." I meant that it does not take much to get me drunk. So you don't use it I guess. :) I think "I have a very low alcohol tolerance." is what I was looking for.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "I have a very low alcohol tolerance." is very pedestrian, formal, and humourless.

I would understand "I don't last long when I drink." as being a good style of self-deprecating humour. Use it by all means.
    It's quite possible to understand this as "I prematurely ejaculate when I drink.
    In the context of a conversation with a young lady panting in expectation, possibly... otherwise, probably not.

Cortessss

Czech
    "I have a very low alcohol tolerance." is very pedestrian, formal, and humourless.

I would understand "I don't last long when I drink." as being a good style of self-deprecating humour. Use it by all means.In the context of a conversation with a young lady panting in expectation, possibly... otherwise, probably not.
    Thank you! Hopefully I was understood the right way when I said it recently. :)

Yes, "I don't last long when I'm drinking" means that I will be drunk or unconscious rather quickly. A sexual meaning would depend on the context.

Indeed, it could be any activity. "Do you want to play some basketball?" "Sure, but I won't last long--I've had four beers."

< Previous | Next >