I don't like share facilities with other people (eg,share a kitchen in an rented apartment)

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
I was talking about renting apartments with friends. Where I live, a few families may rent a multi-room apartment, each of them lives in a room; they need to share the kitchen, the washing room, the living room, etc.
There are also studio apartments suitable for one family only; it has only one room, but also has a small kitchen and a washing room. This kind of apartment is small, but you don't have to share with others facilities like kitchens, washiing rooms, etc.

I said "I don't like to rent an apartment with other people, because I don't like to share facilities."

I am wondering if the bold part is natural there.

Thank you.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In ordinary speech, we wouldn't say use 'facilities' that way.
    Possibly we would say "I don't like to share the cooking and bathroom facilities."
    But in reality, I would probably say "I don't like to share the kitchen and bathroom."

"Bathroom" is the American word for the room containing the toilet and room for washing. I assume that is what you mean by 'washing room'. The British use a different word.

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
    Hi, Cagey. Thank you for the suggestion and letting me know "bathroom".

From what you suggested, I think there may be not a general word to express my meaning if I don't want to limit the facilities to "the kitchen and bathroom". (Living in the same apartment shares more "facilities" and things than just "the kitchen and bathroom").

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    It used to be the case that if you wanted to use the toilet you would say: May I use the facilities?

This doesn't bother me very much: but you don't have to share facilities with others like kitchens, bathrooms, etc. But Cagey's example is better.

In AE, I think one polite way to say it would be, You don't have to share common rooms.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Hi xuliang
    'Facilities' sounds fine to me. I would certainly have an immediate general understanding of why you don't liked shared accommodation, although I'd want to make sure in greater detail. I think I would assume that 'facilities' means the bathrooms and toilets, the kitchen, and the laundry for clothes washing.

This sounds rather like some university student hostel accommodation or sharing a house.

< Previous | Next >