I don't say this because of the impatience ...

LQZ

Mandarin
Brice Parain often maintains that this little book contains my best work. He is wrong. I do not say this, knowing how honest he is, because of the impatience every artist feels when people are impertinent enough to prefer what he has been to what he is. No, he is wrong because at twenty-two, unless one is a genius, one scarcely knows how to write.

Dear all,

The above is taken from a preface of the book, titled "the wrong side and the right side" by a famous writer Camus , a Nobel winner. I have trouble with the bold part. I understand it as "I don't think this book contains my best work, because like other artists, I feel the impatience when people are impertinent enough ..." Could you please tell me whether my understaning is correct? Thanks.

LQZ

• timpeac

English (England)
    No - he means "I do not have this opinion (my opinion that he is wrong) because of the impatience artists feel...".

The reason he does hold this opinion is then given in the next sentence - the fact that he wrote what Brice considers to be his best work when he was only 22 and he claims that at 22 no one can write well.

LQZ

Mandarin
    No - he means "I do not have this opinion (my opinion that he is wrong) because of the impatience artists feel...".

The reason he does hold this opinion is then given in the next sentence - the fact that he wrote what Brice considers to be his best work when he was only 22 and he claims that at 22 no one can write well.
    Thanks timpeac. :)

Can I think "I don't say this because of ..." is equivalent to "I say this not because of ..."?

< Previous | Next >