I enjoy journalizing/writing journals.

Bagsensei

Japanese
Hello, everyone.

a. I enjoy journalizing.
b. I enjoy making journals.
c. I enjoy writing journals.

As a hobby, which is more common to express it? Or you might have a good suggestion.

Thank you.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Do you mean something like keeping a diary? In that case, none of your suggestions are correct.
    a. I enjoy journalizing. :cross:
    b. I enjoy making journals. :cross:
    c. I enjoy writing journals. :cross:
    d. I enjoy journaling. :tick:
    e. I enjoy writing in my journal. :tick:

b. works if you mean making notebooks for people to journal in.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I'm not familiar with 'to journal' or 'to journalize'.:confused: Keeping a journal means regularly writing accounts of your life, the events and your thoughts, feelings and reflections, as opposed to a diary which is more for appointments and events. You can call a journal a diary but not the other way round.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    I'm not familiar with 'to journal' or 'to journalize'.:confused: Keeping a journal means regularly writing accounts of your life, the events and your thoughts, feelings and reflections, as opposed to a diary which is more for appointments and events. You can call a journal a diary but not the other way round.
    These might be British-American differences.

In American English, the verb "to journal" is very common (google "journaling"), and a "diary" has more or less the same denotative meaning as "journal." The difference is mostly in the connotations of the two words. "Diary" does not sound as serious as "journal." A therapist would typically recommend that you keep a "journal," not a "diary," to express and record your deepest thoughts, feelings, emotions, and struggles.

Copyright

American English
    "Journaling" is becoming popular, even if dictionaries haven't caught up with it yet, e.g. I enjoy journaling.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    I wouldn't even say "becoming popular." It's been popular for, well, long enough that it's just a normal, mainstream word now. In a list of hobbies that said "biking, journaling, baking, diving, shopping," "journaling" wouldn't stick out or anything. It would flow naturally as an item on the list.

sdgraham

USA English
    Having worked in London, my experience is that in BE, "diary" is used the way we AE speakers (and AE MS Outlook) use "calendar."

In AE "diary" is commonly used for recording private thoughts.

WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
    di•a•ry (dīə rē),
    n., pl. -ries.
    1. a daily record, usually private, esp. of the writer's own experiences, observations, feelings, attitudes, etc.
    2. a book for keeping such a record.
    3. a book or pad containing pages marked and arranged in calendar order, in which to note appointments and the like.
    See, for example, this book.

Bagsensei

Japanese
    Do you mean something like keeping a diary? In that case, none of your suggestions are correct.
    d. I enjoy journaling. :tick:
    e. I enjoy writing in my journal. :tick:

b. works if you mean making notebooks for people to journal in.
    Thank you so much, Elroy. These are exactly what I needed. Great help.

Bagsensei

Japanese
    The OP needs to tell us what he/she means by "journals."

Keeping multiple journals as a hobby seems rather strange.
    I got it now, Sdgraham. I enjoy writing in my journal and writing is my hobby. In my post, I just don't know how to express it fully in English. Thanks!

< Previous | Next >