I envisioned a carefully coifed, cupcake-baking beast of a woman

< Previous | Next >

gimhee

Korean
I used to make terrible judgments about what it meant to be a “PTA mom,” which stood for “Perfect Type A.” I envisioned a carefully coifed, cupcake-baking beast of a woman whose pastel capris never bore so much as a smudge of child-effluence, all with a polished smile. These PTA moms of my imagination not only prepared five-course bento boxes full of nutritionally balanced meals, they also pulled off school functions like Martha Stewart on steroids.

i've been trying to figure out the meaning of this underlined sentence for more than 30minutes..

But i can't understand it..

is there anyone who can explain this underlined sentence in a plain English?

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/not-a-pta-mom/

• S/He imagined a "PTA woman" as a woman whose hair was perfect, who baked cupcakes and whose pants never showed child vomit--who always smiled.

In other words, s/he imagined supermoms, and presumably the text will go on to say, "...when I saw them [PTA women] they were, in fact, very ordinary, much like me [hair not perfect, clothes stained, etc.]"

Last edited:

gimhee

Korean
    S/He imagined a "PTA woman" as a woman whose hair was perfect, who baked cupcakes and whose pants never showed child vomit--who always smiled.

In other words, s/he imagined supermoms, and presumably the text will go on to say, "...when I saw them [PTA women] they were, in fact, very ordinary, much like me [hair not perfect, clothes stained, etc.]"
    thanks so much~!

your explanation is very clear and helped me a lot!

< Previous | Next >