I <expect/hope/wish> everything be doing great in your life

jorgehrm78

Colombia-Spanish
Hi everyone, usually when you start to write a letter, you ask for the welfare of the other person. I usually say:" I wish everything be doing great in your life" but I am not sure if it is properly English.

I am not sure when to use each of those words. aaah there is another expression:look forward to. when should I use each of those words??? they look too similar to me.

Thanks for your answers.

• The Scrivener

Banned
    England. English
    Hi everyone, usually when you start to write a letter, you ask for the welfare of the other person. I usually say:" I wish everything be doing great in your life" but I am not sure if it is properly English.

I am not sure when to use each of those words. aaah there is another expression:look forward to. when should I use each of those words??? they look too similar to me.

Thanks for your answers.
    Hello.

I usually say, "I do hope you are keeping well." I haven't ever used "wish" or "expect" at the start of a letter enquiring about the person's welfare.

When signing off you can say, "Wishing you all the best. I look forward to hearing from you soon."

sebowski

France - french
    i'd rather say : i hope everything's going well in your life....

Actualy, i'm not sure to understand your question...

when to use "to look forward to" ???
    at the end of a letter or an e-mail...

liliput

U.K. English
    This problem is particular to Spanish speakers because in Spanish there is just one verb - esperar - which can mean hope, wait, expect or look forward to (esperar con illusion) depending on the context. A sentence such as "I hope you're not expecting to wait long" can cause terrible confusion.
    "To wish" on the other hand, is desear.
    The best expression to use for the context you describe is "I hope everything is going well for you". At the end of a letter you might say "I wish you all the best.
    "To hope" is similar to "to wish" think of the noun "esperanza" which signifies "hope".
    "To wait" is essentially to stay in one place (literally or figuratively) until something happens.
    "To expect" is to believe that something is going to happen.
    I hope this helps and I look forward to your reply.

confused.ok

US English
    I usually write 'I hope you are doing well.' or 'I hope that upon receiving this letter you are doing well.' I also sign off with 'Wishing you all the best.'
    You can also say 'I look forward to your reply.' at the end of the letter, before signing.

dobes

US English(Boston/NY)
    Generally speaking, the difference between what you expect, wish, or hope for is in how likely you think you are to get it. You expect things that you really do think will happen. In contrast, you hope for things you think are possible, but less certain than those you expect, and wish for things you think are unlikely to happen.

I studied hard for the test, and expect to get a good grade.

I stayed up all night studying, so I hope I managed to get a good grade.

I had no idea how to answer the questions on the test, but I wish the teacher would give me a good grade anyway.

Packard

USA, English
    Wishing and hoping and
    thinking and praying,
    planning and dreaming
    each night of his charms...

Appologies to Dusty Springfield.

I can dream up situations where I would use all of these words in a letter to a friend or relative.

Wish and hope are pretty much synonyms in this context; expect means something else.

I hope you do well...

I wish you the best...

I expect you will do well in the future...

< Previous | Next >