I failed for<he disturbed><his disturbing>me

sagar grammar

Namaste,
Dear members.
- I failed for _______ me in the exam hall.
a) him to disturb
b) his disturbing:confused:
c) he disturbed :confused:
d) because of his disturbing :cross:

I answered C but the book suggested it's B, and now they both look fine to me.
Could somebody help me get the difference between the two uses, where one or the other is preferred?
Thanks in advance. :)

• Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Hello Sagar,
    Why did you thought the answer could be "C"?:confused:
    Doesn't the combination of "for" and "he" sound odd to you?
    I failed for he disturbed me in the class.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    It looked to me like;-
    "I failed for (=because) he disturbed me in the class."
    Yes, "for" can be used as meaning "because", but I don't think it can be used this way in your sentence.:( I'd say: I failed because he disturbed me in the class.

SevenDays

Spanish
    for introduces an untensed gerund (a verb that is not conjugated), which takes a pronoun as subject: I failed for his disturbing me in the hall
    because introduces a tensed verb (conjugated), with a subject pronoun: I failed because he disturbed me in the hall

Loob

English UK
    I'd say that all the options are incorrect, sagar grammar:(.

C would be grammatical if you added a comma, but it sounds very odd. D would work if you removed the word "for".

It's a poor question.

Loob

English UK
    I'd say it has the same problem as C: it sounds very odd. There are quite a few threads on the use of "for" meaning "because": if you search on for because you'll find them, though you'll need to do some sifting.

Here's something I wrote in one of those previous threads:

Here's Michael Swan's explanation of conjunction "for" in Practical English Usage
    For introduces new information, but suggests that the reason is given as an afterthought. A for-clause could almost be in brackets. For-clauses never come at the beginning of sentences, and cannot stand alone. For, used in this sense, is most common in a formal written style.
    My recommendation: don't use "for" meaning "because". It's good to understand it, but it's never necessary to use it:).

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I agree with Loob.

Your book doesn't sound very reliable to me but perhaps it teaches Indian English, which I gather has some features that are not accepted (or no longer accepted) in BE.

< Previous | Next >