I fell behind a great deal

maayani

Hebrew
Hello,

-And you are not to just run on out of here without notice.
- I wouldn’t have had to if Ma didn’t slam the door on her face.
-Hey, you left me high and dry today, son. I fell behind a great deal cause of your selfishness.

(from the movie: "mean dreams")

Can you clarify to me in your own words the meaning of "fell behind a great deal" in this context?

Thanks in advance.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    To fall behind - to fail to progress as one would expect; to suffer some sort of disadvantage - usually (but not always) a loss of time (that could be used to do/achieve something.)

PS
    In your examples from the film, can you please explain what the film is about and where and when the story takes place. :thumbsup:

This is what is meant by "context".

maayani

Hebrew
    Thanks a lot.
    Can we say that "fell behind a great deal" mean "miss a great deal" or miss an opportunity?

(explanation of the context: Jonas spends his days working on his father's cattle ranch, and here they are talking after Jonas went out without a notice )

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Can we say that "fell behind a great deal" mean "miss a great deal" or miss an opportunity?
    No, we cannot. It is not the same as "deal" = a business arrangement/arrangement.

A deal = a proportion; an extent; an amount

Here "a great deal" is a set adverbial phrase and is usually said as "by a great deal" -> "by a large proportion" or "to a large extent". The proportion/extent of what can be implied by the context, or stated:

"A great deal of Israelis live in other countries."
    "A large proportion of Israelis live in other countries."

"Do you visit your parents?"
    "We visit them a great deal." (on many occasions; very frequently)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >