I gave at the office

Saoul

Italian
Amicicicicici,

someone's taking a break (a doctor, but I don't think it has a lot to do with the question, here). He hides in a room, hanging this sign out of the door "I gave at the office".
I'm lost.
Oxford Dictionary, Collins Dictionary, Garzanti, Urbandictionary and Wordreference have no "to give at" entries.
What the fudge :D does this mean?

Thanks in advance for your help, amicicici.
Saoul

• SweetSoulSister

American English
    I'm sorry, I should have made it more clear...

The sign on the door is a warning because the doctor doesn't like people asking him for donations for charities. So a good response is "I gave at the office." Which means that I have already donated to some charity, so please don't bother me and ask me for more money.

It is comical, it is not exactly polite, but it is not rude either. But the doctor definitely has a sense of humor.

I think, abbiamo gia' datto is a good way of saying the intended meaning.

SweetSoulSister

American English
    You're welcome. Yes, SSS is fine :)

And sometimes people will even use this funny expression in response to an irritating request...

A- Will you please help me with this project?
    B- No thanks, I gave at the office! ahahah.. Ok, yes, I will help you...

It isn't very common, but most adults will understand the joke.

"abbiamo gia' datto al ufficio"

By the way, you're avatar is excellent!

Saoul

Italian
    Thanks.
    We use the line "abbiamo già dato" (without ufficio), and we sometimes use it, in funny situations, too, such as when my girlfriend rings at the door, or things like that, along with "No grazie, non ci servono enciclopedie/aspirapolvere/prodotti avon!". These are all products sold on a door to door basis. :D
    Thanks then... er... SSS.

Saoul

Italian
    Your boyfriend/mother/brother/father/sister/friends ring at the door. You open the door and say: "No, grazie abbiamo già dato" and slam the door.
    Then you open it and bid them to enter laughing. This is something I do quite frequenlty. :D

Jamila

Italian
    Your boyfriend/mother/brother/father/sister/friends ring at the door. You open the door and say: "No, grazie abbiamo già dato" and slam the door.
    Then you open it and bid them to enter laughing. This is something I do quite frequenlty. :D

So I DID understand :rolleyes: you naughty boy!

Usually when I forget the door key and ring the bell my father says to me "no voemo niente grassie" which means "we don't want anything thank you"

;)

< Previous | Next >