I gave Virgil the <greatest line of hot fizz> ever strung together at one time in one place

Gabrielle Wei

Chinese
There's sentence in the book, "I gave Virgil the greatest line of hot fizz ever strung together at one time in one place", and I don't understand its meaning.

The context is added below:

'There's a war on. Men are being killed. Molinari is sick and he needs medical help. Whether you spend money or not—'

'But you asked for this job.'

Presently he said, 'I begged for it, as a matter of fact. I gave Virgil the greatest line of hot fizz ever strung together at one time in one place.'

She had drawn herself together now; she had become poised. 'What sort of pay will you receive?'

[Text is from the book Now Wait for Last Year by Philip K Dick. Added by DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • coiffe

USA
    American English
    I've never heard the word ("fizz") used like this -- nor have I ever heard an expression "a line of hot fizz." Nevertheless, we can probably guess that it means a line of persuasive BS that is given to procure a job. People lie at interviews. "Fizz" means anything bubbly, like champagne bubbly, and the play of words might be on saliva foaming on that person's mouth as he/she tells a great story to get the job. So, a great, maybe complicated story the person made up to convince Virgil to give him/her the job.

Gabrielle Wei

Chinese
    I've never heard the word ("fizz") used like this -- nor have I ever heard an expression "a line of hot fizz." Nevertheless, we can probably guess that it means a line of persuasive BS that is given to procure a job. People lie at interviews. "Fizz" means anything bubbly, like champagne bubbly, and the play of words might be on saliva foaming on that person's mouth as he/she tells a great story to get the job. So, a great, maybe complicated story the person made up to convince Virgil to give him/her the job.
    Thanks for your explanation and advice. I think it makes sense to understand the sentence in this way.

< Previous | Next >