I gave you everything

< Previous | Next >

dichelson

Italy/Italian
Hello: In the following text I'm uncertain about the meaning of "I gave you everything" (Evelyn has just recounted some past events to Steve):

""So tell me, Steve, do you think I'm crazy?" He looked back at Evelyn and could hardly speak [useless part...] Evelyn misread his silence "Well I'm sorry, but I gave you everything, just the way I saw it"

In this context, I'd guess that "I gave you" basically means "I told you". Is that correct? Thank you

• Cathy Rose

United States English
    Do you mind if I ask you what you are reading? Is it a novel? A drama? Your questions are interesting and I was just wondering who Evelyn and Steve are.

Lexiphile

England English
    Do you mind if I ask you what you are reading? Is it a novel? A drama? Your questions are interesting and I was just wondering who Evelyn and Steve are.
    Yes, I would like a bit more context as well, because I don't think it means "I told you." It sounds as though it should mean something much more emotional, but I can't tell from just this short extract.

Physics Guy

U.S. English
    "I told you everything" is a weaker statement. It means you "reported" everything.

"I gave you everything" is a very strong statement that reflects that the speaker took effort and pain to tell everything. (Just like it is "painful" to give or donate money. You're giving up something.)

Lexiphile

England English
    But consider this:

Evelyn says: "I'm leaving you. You never took out the trash. You never brought me flowers. I even had to ask for a kiss before you you went to work each day."
    Steve says "But I left my wife for you. I gave up my job as a potentially famous brain surgeon. And I bought us a house on the hill overlooking the sea. I gave you everything!"

Or perhaps Evelyn says: "I don't know where to go from here. We need a lot more from you before we can proceed with your claim against your wife. Can you tell us any more about her affairs?
    So Steve says: "No, that's all I know. I gave you everything."

Context is everything!!!

Cathy Rose

United States English
    Exactly, Lexiphile and Physics Guy. I was wondering if it is some kind of hyperbole. We'd need to know more about the characters to give you a proper answer.

dichelson

Italy/Italian
    Well, yeah, I'm translating a novel by Frank Peretti ("The Oath"). Anybody knows about him? I took the challenge of putting it into Italian (actually I'm from Italy), and it's being a bit of a pain. Now, up to the context, it "took effort and pain" (congratulations Physics Guy!) for Evelyn to talk to Steve about some past events of her life (murders, dragons involved, and stuff), and she thinks he's not going to believe her. I can give you folks even more context if you want (short of breaking the copyright). As for who Evelyn and Steve are, sorry Cathy Rose, be it enough to say they're two nice characters of the novel

Lexiphile

England English
    OK, Dichel, now it does sound as though "I told you" is the intended meaning, but still in an emotionally loaded sense. She "bared her soul" in telling him all these things.

< Previous | Next >