I get cold feet whenever I am interviewed?

< Previous | Next >

High on grammar

Farsi
Hello everyone:

Is the usage of the idiom " to get cold feet" in the following sentence correct?

I get cold feet whenever I am interviewed.

Thanks

• High on grammar

Farsi
    What do you think "to get cold feet" means?
    "to get cold feet" is when you decide not to do something that you have been planning to do; you begin to feel worried about doing it, thinking that something bad might happen.

I know that " get cold feet" doesn't work in this sentence, but you might not believe me if I told you that my ESL teacher used this sentence as an example to show us how this idiom is used in a sentence.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    I wouldn't use it if you actually went through with the interview – which is why I asked. If you get cold feet about interviews, then you'll never go through with an interview.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    get cold feet

I think your getting cold feet might simply cause you to reconsider going for the interview, rather than definitely backing out, but I agree that it's not how we typically use the phrase.

They were supposed to be getting married, but at the last moment the groom got cold feet. - I assume the wedding didn't take place.

High on grammar

Farsi
    I wouldn't use it if you actually went through with the interview – which is why I asked. If you get cold feet about interviews, then you'll never go through with an interview.
    Thanks.

I knew she was wrong the moment she wrote her example sentence on the board, but I didn't say anything for fear of getting kicked out of class.
    Oh, by the way I forgot to tell you that she is not a native speaker of English.

< Previous | Next >