I get first dibs on that

Rodal

Castellano (Chile)
I'm trying to translate: "I get first dibs on that pizza!"

The urban dictionary says, getting first dibs means to claim ownership of something before anyone else does.

My attempt: ¡Declaro mis derechos en/sobre esa pizza!

Gracias de antemano.

Last edited:
  • BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    First dibs is first choice. Another example: (I get) Dibs on which movie we watch tonight.
    Just 'dibs on the pizza' would fit your declaration of rights to the pizza without sharing.
    It is more like 'declaro selección primero'.
    Perhaps - Elección preeminente.

Rodal

Castellano (Chile)
    First dibs is first choice. Another example: (I get) Dibs on which movie we watch tonight.
    Just 'dibs on the pizza' would fit your declaration of rights to the pizza without sharing.
    It is more like 'declaro selección primero'.
    Perhaps - Elección preeminente.
    Gracias BLUEGLAZE. It's good to know there is no sharing after calling first dibs on the pizza.
    Sin embargo cuando uno dice declaro seleccionar primero estamos diciendo también que habrá más pizza para alguien más. Sigo usando el ejempo de la pizza para comprender bien el concepto.

Last edited:

Nipnip

Español
    Gracias BLUEGLAZE. It's good to know there is no sharing after setting your eyes on the pizza.
    Sin embargo cuando uno dice declaro seleccionar primero estamos diciendo también que habrá más pizza para alguien más. Sigo usando el ejempo de la pizza para comprender bien el concepto.
    It only means that you will get to eat from the pizza first, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will finish it on your own. In Spanish we simply say: Yo primero. Children around here used to say: primis, segus, (I go first, I go second).

Rodal

Castellano (Chile)
    It only means that you will get to eat from the pizza first, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will finish it on your own. In Spanish we simply say: Yo primero. Children around here used to say: primis, segus, (I go first, I go second).
    Gracias Nipnip, yo primero, yo segundo... Se puede decir entonces: I get second dibs on that pizza?

Nipnip

Español
    Gracias Nipnip, yo primero, yo segundo... Se puede decir entonces: I get second dibs on that pizza?
    Theoretically you could, true is I have never heard anyone calling second dibs on something. Usually "me next" would be uttered. My comparison is more in terms of how kids would say it in Spanish.

That being said, you may want to have a look at this.

Rodal

Castellano (Chile)
    Thank you Nipnip, the link you shared was very helpful. According to the link, getting first dibs implies there should be second dibs, and basically how ever many dibs as there are people in a group except for the last one, i.e. 49 dibs in a group of 50. It's not common but technically possible. I wonder why the last one doesn't get any dibs. So in a group of two, only one person gets dibs like in the example of the wife calling first dibs on using the bathroom; the husband called 2nd dibs and the wife said: "sorry you can't, there is only first dibs". The husband's response to his wife was: well if if there is only first dibs then it should be: "I call dibs" not "first dibs". (good point). I conclude it would only be possible to call first dibs on something in a group of 3 or more people. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Bicasitodo

No, Rodal. The number of people involved matters not. Actually, claiming dibs MEANS one wants to go first, to choose first -between 2 people, or among a throng. The word first is superfluous, redundant: it's like saying first winner. If you like, I can elaborate on the pizza example for which dibs doesn't make much sense to me; but, I usually resist critiquing the original.

Rodal

Castellano (Chile)
    No, Rodal. The number of people involved matters not. Actually, claiming dibs MEANS one wants to go first, to choose first -between 2 people, or among a throng. The word first is superfluous, redundant
    OK, this changes things a bit, I claim first dibs on the pizza because I want to go first, the number of people matters not. The adverb first is superfluous and does not matter either. ¿Cómo lo diríamos en español entonces?

Descartamos la posibilidad sugerida por nipnip de decir: yo primero, yo segundo
    como lo sugiere nipnip.

¡Reclamo la pizza para mí!

the pizza example for which dibs doesn't make much sense to me
    ¿Por qué?

Last edited:

Bicasitodo

Pues...

Ok, I'll begin by noting the good example provided by blueglaze in post #3: "Dibs on which movie we watch tonight". Note not needing/using "first", and that there is a choice among options. The dibs on "that pizza" makes sense if there are other things to eat, or other pizzas to choose among, and one calls or claims the right to the or that pizza -whether the pizza-dibs person selects first or not; that is, others can select what they want in whatever order, but "that pizza" has been claimed. If, on the other hand, there is nothing but "that (one) pizza" to eat, then it just seems selfish to claim the first slice (does it matter?), or worse, the only thing to eat. It would make sense if there is a pizza with several slices, each with different ingredients, and you claim dibs on first selection so you could pick which slice among the options, as with which movie among the options. BTW, sequential dibs would make sense, if there are three or more people and someone wants to be second/next in selecting the slice they like.

On the bathroom example with a couple/pareja, dibs would make sense if there are 2 or more bath options, and you claim dibs on the downstairs or closest one, for example. Otherwise, you'd just say "first -or something like that- for (use of) the bathroom". But, logically, that bathroom will still be there for the other or next person, whereas, that pizza will not. I'm getting hungry...

Elcanario

Spanish - Spain
    The right to share or choose something (Oxford Dictionary).
    Como dice Nipnip, expresión usada por la chavalería extendiéndose su uso al resto como sucede según creo con la expresión inglesa; me pido primer, segun, etc.
    Yo sí creo, como Blueglaze, que ese first importa.
    En cada contexto lo apropiado. Por ejemplo:
    I get dibs on that aisle seat. Me pido el asiento de pasillo.
    I get first dibs on that pizza. Me pido catar (probar, etc) primero esa pizza.
    I get dibs on that pizza. Me pido esa pizza.
    Un saludo

Rodal

Castellano (Chile)
    Pues...

Ok, I'll begin by noting the good example provided by blueglaze in post #3: "Dibs on which movie we watch tonight". Note not needing/using "first", and that there is a choice among options. The dibs on "that pizza" makes sense if there are other things to eat, or other pizzas to choose among, and one calls or claims the right to the or that pizza -whether the pizza-dibs person selects first or not; that is, others can select what they want in whatever order, but "that pizza" has been claimed. If, on the other hand, there is nothing but "that (one) pizza" to eat, then it just seems selfish to claim the first slice (does it matter?), or worse, the only thing to eat. It would make sense if there is a pizza with several slices, each with different ingredients, and you claim dibs on first selection so you could pick which slice among the options, as with which movie among the options. BTW, sequential dibs would make sense, if there are three or more people and someone wants to be second/next in selecting the slice they like.

On the bathroom example with a couple/pareja, dibs would make sense if there are 2 or more bath options, and you claim dibs on the downstairs or closest one, for example. Otherwise, you'd just say "first -or something like that- for (use of) the bathroom". But, logically, that bathroom will still be there for the other or next person, whereas, that pizza will not. I'm getting hungry...
    Thank you Bicasitodo for your thorough response; your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Rodal

Castellano (Chile)
    The right to share or choose something (Oxford Dictionary).
    Como dice Nipnip, expresión usada por la chavalería extendiéndose su uso al resto como sucede según creo con la expresión inglesa; me pido primer, segun, etc.
    Yo sí creo, como Blueglaze, que ese first importa.
    En cada contexto lo apropiado. Por ejemplo:
    I get dibs on that aisle seat. Me pido el asiento de pasillo.
    I get first dibs on that pizza. Me pido catar (probar, etc) primero esa pizza.
    I get dibs on that pizza. Me pido esa pizza.
    Un saludo
    Thank you El canario for clarifying the use of getting first dibs vs getting dibs.
    There is a clear difference between the two.

< Previous | Next >