"I get misty just holding your hand." What the...

< Previous | Next >

Robert.

Russia
Hello,

I came across the lyrics of one known Jazz composition.
Can someone explain the meaning of the titleword please.

Thank you.

Lyrics to Ella Fitzgerald "MISTY"

Look at me,
I'm helpless as a kitten up a tree
And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud,
I can't understand,
I get misty just holding your hand.

<<mod note : I deleted a substantial part of the lyrics. See rule #16 about copyright violation. Complete version
LV4-26 - EO mod>>

• AngelEyes

English - United States
    It means he/she gets filled with loving emotions and warm feelings just by touching him/her.

"Misty" is a metaphor for being so emotional, you feel like you want to cry.

These are happy tears.

You just can't beat the Classics, can you? ;)

AngelEyes

Trapezium

UK, English
    What AngelEyes said. The idiom "misty eyed" refers to that stage of emotion where you can feel tears coming but aren't actually crying yet.

ben119

France - French
    I would have imagined something quite different and a lot less poetic...
    Thanks for your input !

AngelEyes

English - United States
    What AngelEyes said. The idiom "misty eyed" refers to that stage of emotion where you can feel tears coming but aren't actually crying yet.
    You're right, of course. :)

They're happy mini-tears that may fill your eyes, but don't run down your cheeks.

Thanks for adding that distinction. My reply was misleading.

AngelEyes

Trapezium

UK, English
    Coincidentally, not long after posting that message, I was crawling under my desk to plug in a cable. The phone behind me rang, I stood up too quickly, and hammered my skull into the edge of my desk.

I definitely felt a bit misty-eyed after that, but being male, I had to pretend it was nothing and carry on as normal. Absolutely nothing poetic or romantic about that one :)

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Trapezium,

Well, sometimes love hurts, too. Maybe not in the way you hurt your head, but still. ;)

I was just reading those lyrics again HERE and it struck me that this is not totally a happy song.

The singer says his lover is "leading me on" and it's just what he wants her to do.

Then he's "wandering through this wonderland alone" and he's "on my own", too.

It sounds like those "misty-eyed" tears are floating in eyes that won't see.

Well, who among us hasn't been there, done that?

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >