I give her what for

panzerfaust0

mandarin
Hello. I am trying to translate "give (someone) what for" into Chinese. I think, 痛训一顿 works. What do you think?

Context: I told her a thousand times not to take the car without asking! Well, I'll give her what for when she gets home.

Thanks.

• yuechu

Canada, English
    Hi, Panzerfaust0!
    I had to look this one up because I'd never heard it before. It means "punish or scold someone severely." I believe that it is only used in informal British English (and not in North American English)--just to let you know!

T.D

mandarin
    痛训 sounds weird to me. I'd prefer 臭骂 in informal contexts and 痛斥 in formal contexts.

SuperXW

... 把她教训一

请确认一下这个方案是否合适。
    Sounds unnatural.
    What's that 一 behind 训?

Also, 请确认一下这个方案是否合适 is too formal for an online forum.
    It is for business contexts, where you want to say "please confirm whether this plan suitable or not."

SuperXW

有错必纠: 「... 把她教训一下」或「... 把她教训一顿」。

我们都易犯错误。:)
    “…把她教训一顿” sounds ok.
    “…把她教训一下” is still unnatural, as 一下 conveys the meaning of "one touch/a bit", which is too light for the mood.
    The most natural way here is using a direct structure, i.e. 等她回家后我得教训她 instead of using 把 format, which is indirect.
    More colloquially, we would say 等她回家后,看我怎么教训她 / 给她点颜色看看 etc.

T.D

mandarin
    “…把她教训一下” is still unnatural, as 一下 conveys the meaning of "one touch/a bit", which is too light for the mood.
    But ‘教训她一下’ works perfectly fine, which I cannot explain...

T.D

mandarin
    其实我不知道give her what for的严重程度,我不懂这个英文用法。
    如果是严重的语气,那么“教训她一下”就不是很符合吧?
    也许还是要看语境吧...如果是爸爸”教训儿子一下”,那可能就是骂,或者是打;如果是黑帮老大说去“教训一下”那就……对吧?
    希望有英语人士能解释一下这个词组一般用在什么地方