I give you my whole heart

Discussion in 'Català (Catalan)' started by dienow, Aug 5, 2017.

1. dienow New Member

German
    Hi,

this is my first post here. I want to make my girlfriend a present with a note on it. She comes from Mallorca and I would like to write that note in Catalan. Could somebody translate the following sentence for me?

"I give you my whole heart because you are too full of life to only be half-loved."

Many thanks in advance!

Moderator's note
    The title should be the original phrase you want to translate, without any extra words.
    Thank you and welcome to the forum.
    Bevj

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2017
  2. LoQuelcomiste

LoQuelcomiste Member

Catalonia
    Catalan (Northwestern) & Spanish - Spain
    «Et donc el/es meu cor sencer perquè ets massa ple de vida com per a esser només estimat a mitges.»

I have to prevent you that I've tried to write it according to Majorcan catalan ways instead of my own dialect ones, wich slighty differs from Majorcan, so it's possible that it isn't actual Majorcan. However, it is granted that any Catalan speaker would understand it.

Also, choose wether you use «el meu» or «es meu» depending on your degree of formality, as «es» should sound more colloquial whereas «es» could sound too much formal. Now, as I'm not Majorcan, I can't tell you for sure if there is'n an exception here (there are some cases in wich «es» isn't used, but I don't know them). Finally, if he is from Pollença, he probably uses «el» in any daily situation.

If anyone has a better translation, go for it!

3. Dymn

Dymn Senior Member

Catalan, Catalonia
    She's his girlfriend, not boyfriend! :D

Also, dónc is not normative (donar is a plain regular verb), the standard is dóno, and I think they say don in Majorca because of the zero termination in 1st person singular.

Esser is also Majorcan dialect, I don't know if it's accepted either, the literary form is ésser.

And com per a is not accepted either, it's per a alone (a bit nitpicky, I know).

My humble proposal (literal translation):

«Et don el meu cor sencer perquè ets massa plena de vida per a ésser estimada a mitges.»

Let's see if we can get Majorcans around here (e.g. @Xiscomx ).

4. LoQuelcomiste

LoQuelcomiste Member

Catalonia
    Catalan (Northwestern) & Spanish - Spain
    Yeah, I just read it way too quickly. I guess I was a bit sleepy then, so sorry.:p

However, I fear I have to disagree to some extent with you (even if your translation is perfectly correct). Basically, «esser» is a completely correct form in any register of the language, just as «ser» is, at least, and it appears in any dictionary. So, given that this is the Majorcan form, I'd go for it. Also, I don't think that literary/formal forms must be used here provided that, well, it is his girlfriend. So I'd use «salat» article and other more local forms, especially those that are perfectly accepted by the IEC such as «esser».
    On the other hand, I didn't know that «com per a» wasn't correct. If it isn't too off-topic, could you tell me if it's just vulgar or it is a foreign form? I'm curious about it. Well, in any case, I don't know if the «a» before «esser» should be used, either, as I thought it wasn't common to use «per a» + infinitive forms in Eastern Catalan and it wasn't accepted until recent years (I read an article about thus written by a Majorcan linguist who opposed the ban on the «per a» form). Or maybe I'm just wrong, I can't actually tell.

All in all (and attending until an actual Majorcan shows up here), I'd propose «Et don es meu cor sencer perquè ets massa plena de vida per esser estimada a mitges».

PD: The standard form is «dono» without any accent mark (the former diacritic only applied to one form: «dóna»). I knew dessinece zero was the one in use there, so I tried with «donc», wich sounds more natural to me. I've just searched it on the DCVB and both «don» and «donc» appear to be used in Balearic Catalan, but I think it is more probable that «don» is the standard form there (too tired now to search it), so all in all I have to give you that point.:thumbsup:

5. Dymn

Dymn Senior Member

Catalan, Catalonia
    Oops, you're right. Thanks to the IEC I won't have to worry about which forms of donar take the accent and which don't anymore :)

It is simply not recommended by prescriptive grammars, I guess it's a Spanish construction. Not an unforgivable mistake indeed.

Per a simply doesn't exist in spoken Central (I don't know about Balearic) Catalan. But I am not a fan of creating dialectal double forms in standard language, and I would use per a always to indicate purpose, although now this is normative apparently... even before words which aren't infinitives.

All in all, I think we are nitpicking a bit, both of our suggestions are OK at least. Let's wait for a Majorcan to appear maybe. :tumbleweed:

6. dienow New Member

German
    I think I'm going to go with:

«Et don el meu cor sencer perquè ets massa plena de vida per a ésser estimada a mitges.»

Thank you very much guys!

7. Xiscomx

Xiscomx Senior Member

Mallorca
    Español de España y Balear
    I feel sorry not having noticed @Dymn ’s call last month. I know it is too late, but here I am now to help future visitors.

It is nearly impossible to please @dienow because he does not mention where his girlfriend is from Mallorca. Majorcan villages have their own particularity way of speaking, that’s the problem to be certain for a proper translation of the sentence.

Majorcans can understand @Dymn ’s literary translation you have decided to go with, but I hope there are better options to it.

@Dymn ’s sentence stands:
    We would better say: «Et donc el meu cor sencer perquè ets molt plena de vida per a ser mitja estimada.»

Because:

1. Better donc than don.
    2. Better molt plena than massa plena.
    3. Better per a ser than per a ésser (and in that case, better per esser than per a ésser).
    4. Better mitja estimada than estimada a mitges. (As far as Majorcans can understand, the expression estimada a mitges means in Spanish querida a medias = Two men love the girl per equal (fifty-fifty) and at the same time may mean that the girl is not completely loved. Nobody can understand mitja estimada as half-loved. In Spanish would sound a little bit better “medio amada”, so it would be better to write manco estimada in Majorcan.

Then, the Majorcan sentence would be: «A tu que ets plena de vida t'entreg tot el meu cor perquè mai et sentis manco estimada».

A literary translation of the above sentence is: To you, who are full of life, I give up my whole heart to make you feel you will never be more loved than now.