I go/go through/pass by downtown

Sjsjsjs

Banned
Spanish-Argentina
Downtown is on my route when I go to work, is it ok if I say "I go downtown on my way to work"? Doesn't it sound like I go downtown and stay there for a little bit, and after that I go to work?

I pass by downtown on my way to work?
I go through downtown on my way to work?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    If you don't work downtown, I think "go by/through/past downtown" are idiomatic. Note that technically, "by" and "past" don't necessarily indicate that you go "through" but could mean that you pass near the downtown area but do no enter it.

"I pass downtown" would fine: The "by" is not necessary and to me almost sounds awkward.

Sjsjsjs

Banned
    Spanish-Argentina
    Ohh so pass by doesn't sound good in this context, what about this? I pass by Walmart everyday on my way to work. Or should I just say go past?

I just passed by Walmart/went past Walmart (phone conversation, someone asks me where i am)

kentix

English - U.S.
    If your route at some point takes you inside downtown along some major thoroughfare then you are definitely going through downtown.

It get's a little tricky if you only go through a small outer part of it because "through" suggests going through (or near) the middle of something (in one side and out the other, like a tunnel). It would depend on how much you went through whether "through" would sound right in any given context. For instance, if you were on a road that passed into what people would consider the outer edge of downtown but you turned left at the next street and passed back out of that area I would find it difficult to describe it as going "through" downtown. Maybe I would say "I pass through the edge of downtown" or something like that.

Sjsjsjs

Banned
    Spanish-Argentina
    Thank you! To go through downtown is what I'm looking for.
    Ohh so pass by doesn't sound good in this context, what about this? I pass by Walmart everyday on my way to work. Or should I just say go past?

I just passed by Walmart/went past Walmart (phone conversation, someone asks me where i am)
    What about this, can anyone give me their opinion?

< Previous | Next >