I go to school at Willow Road

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
It's part of a shor story book called "the Client".

how old are you Mark? Tell me a little about yourself.
- I'm eleven years old. I go to school at Willow Road.
Why aren't you in school this morning, Mark?
- It's a long story.

Is "Willow Road" the name of the school?
Is it the name of the street where the school is on there?
or it means that the name of the school is "Willow" and it is on a street which name is "Road" ?

Road is a special name or it is the synonym of way/street/path ? I mean "Willow Road" is a special name of a street OR just "Willow" is the street and Road simply means road as a path.

Last edited:
  • ribran

English - American
    "Willow Road" is an abbreviation of the name of the school. If the story is set in the United States, he is most likely in fifth or sixth grade, so he could be in either elementary school or middle school.

So, assuming he is enrolled in the local public school system, it could be either Willow Road Elementary School or Willow Road Middle School, but "Willow Road" "sounds" more like an elementary school than a middle school.

The school is probably on Willow Road, but it may be on a residential street just off it.

EDIT: Or nowhere near it...

Last edited:

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    All the name tells us is that the school is near Willow Road. It may be on a residential street just off Willow Road.
    "I go to school at Willow Road."
    So, Willow Road is the name of a residential place where his school is on there?

Tracer

American English
    "I go to school at Willow Road."
    So, Willow Road is the name of a residential place where his school is on there?
    Most likely, Willow Road is the name of the school (Willow Road School) AND the name of the street where the school is located (Willow Road (Street)).

But this is not 100% certain. "Willow Road School" could be located on "Jefferson Avenue" or any other street but it just happens to be called (for some reason) "Willow Road School".

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Most likely, Willow Road is the name of the school (Willow Road School) AND the name of the street where the school is located (Willow Road (Street)).

But this is not 100% certain. "Willow Road School" could be located on "Jefferson Avenue" or any other street but it just happens to be called (for some reason) "Willow Road School".
    We were taught that if we want to name the school we should say for example:
    I go to Willow Road school.
    And when we want to name the street where the school is, we have to say:
    I go to Willow Road school on Green street.

But here, it says: "I go to school at Willow Road", instead of on. That's why you say Willow Road is the name of the school and not the street?

ribran

English - American
    We were taught that if we want to name the school we should say for example:
    I go to Willow Road school.
    And when we want to name the street where the school is, we have to say:
    I go to Willow Road school on Green street.

But here, it says: "I go to school at Willow Road", instead of on. That's why you say Willow Road is the name of the school and not the street?
    No, it is probably, but not necessarily, both.

"At" is used because he is giving the name of the school, not the name of the street on which the school is located.

ribran

English - American
    I don't follow you! Could you please rephrase it?
    Gladly. :)

Here are the normal structures:

I go to school at (name of school).
    I go to school on (name of street).

Seeing that the name of the school is Willow Road, it is probably located on Willow Road. If this is true, students there certainly could say, "I go to school on Willow Road," but when someone asks what school you go to, he or she usually wants to know the name of the school, not the name of the street where it is located. The name of the school is "Willow Road," so it is correct and preferable to respond, "I go to school at Willow Road."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >