I go to school by car

kloie

English
How would i say this phrase in your language?
Serbian: Idem školu autom
German: ich fahre zur Schule mit dem Auto
Italian: Vado a scuola in macchina
Spanish:Voy a la escuela en coche
Estonian: Lähen kooli autoga

Last edited:
  • TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    Hi.

Italian: Io vado a scuola con la macchina :tick:
    Correct. A couple of minor points:
    - just like in Spanish, most of the time* there's no need to explicitly mention the subject pronoun ("Io", in this case), since it can be easily deduced from the verb conjugation ("vado"); thus, the sentence could simply start as: Vado a scuola...
    - "con la macchina" is OK, but in my experience it's more common say: in macchina; no real difference in meaning, though, and both are grammatically correct and used
    - you can replace "macchina" with "auto" or, more formally, "automobile"

*(i.e. when you're not putting extra emphasis on the pronoun, for example)

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    Sardinian : (Eo) ando a iscola cun sa macchina / (Eo) ando a iscola in macchina.

P.S.
    Like Spanish and Italian, there is no need to mention the subject

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    Czech: Do školy jezdím autem (automobilem, vozem). (the word order may vary)

Czech distinguishes to go on foot (jíti) vs. to go by a vehicle (jeti), and also has iterative/frequentative variants of many verbs (jíti vs. choditi, jeti vs. jezditi).

autem, automobilem, vozem (instrumental case) = by car;

car: colloqu. auto, more formally automobil;
    vůz is generally any car, carriage, wagon, ... (even horse-drawn);

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    Hungarian: Autóval / Kocsival járok iskolába.

Both "autó" and "kocsi" are common in colloquial Hungarian. "Kocsi" comes from the Hungarian place name Kocs /koʧ/, which is the ultimate origin of English "coach", Spanish "coche", etc.

-val: with
    járok: I go (frequentative)
    iskola: school
    -ba: to, into

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    IMHO in Russian (like in Czech) you can use the instrumental case as well: на машине (lit. on [the] car/machine) or машиной (instr. case of машина). In Czech the instrumental case is the only option in this context.

Last edited:

KalAlbè

American English & Kreyòl Ayisyen
    Portuguese: Vou para a escola de carro. *In speech para a gets shortened to pra

Haitian Creole: M ale lekòl nan machin.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    German: ich fahre zur Schule mit dem Auto
    The default, unmarked word order is "Ich fahre mit dem Auto zur Schule."

Modern Standard Arabic:

أذهب إلى المدرسة بالسيارة
    aðhabu ʾila 'l-madrasa(ti) bis-sayyāra(ti)

Palestinian Arabic:

بروح ع المدرسة بالسيارة
    barūḥ ʿal-madrase bis-sayyāra

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    I'd add Dutch here: Ik rijd met de auto naar school is the most grammatical, but the relaxed version Ik rijd naar school met de auto is quite common as well. In Dutch and especially in German there is some kind of embedding between conjugated verb and for example the verbal rest, or the object/ directional object/ predicate…
    @kloie: I'd like to know what the motive is for asking the question. Does it have to do with word order?

kloie

English
    I'd add Dutch here: Ik rijd met de auto naar school is the most grammatical, but the relaxed version Ik rijd naar school met de auto is quite common as well. In Dutch and especially in German there is some kind of embedding between conjugated verb and for example the verbal rest, or the object/ directional object/ predicate…
    @kloie: I'd like to know what the motive is for asking the question. Does it have to do with word order?
    I was wondering whether most languages use (with) instead of ( by).

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    I see. So Dutch uses "with", 'met', here (but we do say "te voet" (on foot), "te paard" (on horseback), which is hard to be paraphrased, though it might resemble "to", towards, though not here). There is also "per" (lit. through, by means of): per auto, per trein, per fiets, ... Not so common anymore, I think, but still OK.

Yet, French has "in" (en voiture) also next to "à", which might mean something like "avec", with, but I am not sure… And in some languages it will be a prepositionless case form...

Last edited:

oveka

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    Ukrainian:
    Я їжджу в школу на машині (own)
    /ya yizhdzhu v shkolu na mashyni/
    Я їжджу в школу машиною
    /ya yizhdzhu v shkolu mashynoyu/ (any)

Macedonian
    Macedonian

I go to school by car.
    Одам на училиште со кола. [Odam na učilište so kola.]; more formally: ...со автомобил. [...so avtomobil.]
    Literal translation: "I-go on school with car."