I got nothing.

Luisss

korean
Hi, everyone. I'm watching one of TED videos and there's a thing I'm so confused with. In that video, A was talking with B and accidentally said something mean. So B got upset and said to A "You are a horrible person." So embarrassed, A said to B "Yeah... I got nothing..."
In this case, what does "I got nothing." exactly mean...? Is it like "Sorry, I got nothing to say." or "I can't think of anything now." or "I have no idea why I said that." or some other meaning?:confused: Thank you in advance.:)

• Packard

USA, English
    I don't think there is sufficient information here to make a informed comment. Much of what happens in movies, on TV or on stage has to do with the actions and expressions of the actors. It might require that someone watch the specific episode to make a meaningful comment.

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    The ellipses suggests that A cannot think of an appropriate comeback and perhaps tacitly agrees that he is or has behaved like a horrible person.
    the 'nothing' refers to a verbal defence.

Luisss

korean
    I don't think there is sufficient information here to make a informed comment. Much of what happens in movies, on TV or on stage has to do with the actions and expressions of the actors. It might require that someone watch the specific episode to make a meaningful comment.
    Thank you so much! Yeah, I agree what I brought is insufficient to help catch the exact nuance. I think I should ask my English teacher in class, showing the video. Thanks again.;)

Luisss

korean
    The ellipses suggests that A cannot think of an appropriate comeback and perhaps tacitly agrees that he is or has behaved like a horrible person.
    the 'nothing' refers to a verbal defence.
    Thank you so much for your help! Now I have a better understanding about it thanks to you! ;)

< Previous | Next >