I got you wrong

< Previous | Next >

halmom

korean
Can I use ' I got you wrong' which means I misunderstood you? For example,

A: The number of students who choose to study abroad has decreased by 50%.

B. You mean 15 %?

A: No, I said 50%.

B: Sorry, I got you wrong.

• owlman5

English-US
    I prefer "I got it wrong" in this context. "I got you wrong" is understandable, but it doesn't sound as natural to me as "I got it wrong."

owlman5

English-US
    Then, when do we say' I got you wrong' and when do we say ' I got it wrong"?
    I never say "I got you wrong." I've heard others use "I get you" to mean "I understand what you were saying", but I don't use "I get you" with that meaning.

I recommend that you use "I get it" when you want to say "I understand what you are/were saying." "Got it" is also normal with that meaning.

I've also heard "I don't get you" used with a different meaning. Speakers sometimes use it when they want to say "I don't understand the kind of person you are. Your behavior is alien to me."

dadane

English-London
    Can it also mean "I don't get it"?
    Yes, it works both ways.

To me, "I got you wrong" would be used to explain a much deeper misunderstanding than a simple misheard word. For instance, I could say it if I had misjudged your political standing on an issue because I had incorrectly inferred it from something you had said previously.

Sun14

Chinese
    Yes, it works both ways.

To me, "I got you wrong" would be used to explain a much deeper misunderstanding than a simple misheard word. For instance, I could say it if I had misjudged your political standing on an issue because I had incorrectly inferred it from something you had said previously.
    Can "I don't get you" means "I don't get it". Aside from the function to show you are unclear about a person in #4, Can it also means "I don't understand your words"?

dadane

English-London
    Can "I don't get you" means "I don't get it". Aside from the function to show you are unclear about a person in #4, Can it also means "I don't understand your words"?
    I find it is more often used to mean "I heard your words correctly but I don't understand your meaning. Can you rephrase"? than "I didn't hear you correctly".

< Previous | Next >