I greatly appreciate you (for) taking the time to do it

Gamen

Banned
Spanish Argentina

Buenas tardes.

¿Ambas estructuras son igualmente correctas?
¿Se puede usar también la preposición "for"?

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to do it.

I greatly appreciate you for taking the time to do it.

Agradezco sus comentarios.

• Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    Yo diría 'I greatly appreciate your taking the time to do it.'
    I do not appreciate you; I appreciate the fact that you have done something for me.

Gamen

Banned
    Spanish Argentina
    Muchas gracias Bevj,
    ¿Sería gramaticalmente incorrecto con "you"?

El "for" no sería incorrecto sino más bien innecesario, ¿no es así?
    I greatly appreciate you taking for the time to do it.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    Muchas gracias Bevj,

I greatly appreciate you taking for the time to do it. :cross:
    La frase es 'to take (the) time', no 'to take for the time'.
    Me parece que 'I appreciate you taking the time to do it' también se dice, pero personalmente prefiero 'your'.

kayokid

English, USA
    Muchas gracias Bevj,
    I greatly appreciate you taking the time to do it. For me, this sentence is also correct. It is also said as Bevj suggests in post #2. This has been discussed in the forum before, although I must admit I don't remember the final decision as to which, if either, is more 'correct'.

I greatly appreciate you taking for the time to do it. I would word it a bit differently. See below.
    'I appreciate you that you have taken the time to do it', is the best way to rephrase this.
    *'I appreciate you for taking the time to do this,' is really not a good sentence -- although you will hear it.

Gamen

Banned
    Spanish Argentina
    Sorry, in my post 3 I wanted to write 'I appreciate you for taking the time to do this" and NOT 'I appreciate you for taking for the time to do this".
    So, not even the first one is considered correct according to what I understood, right?. However, it is said by the very native speakers of English? Is that so?

Gamen

Banned
    Spanish Argentina
    Ok. Thank you K-in-sc for the link.
    I see your point. With "your" the sentence sounds more formal than with "you". Regardless of this (sin perjuicio de esto), in one of the links you have passed me, you can also read that there's a very important semantics difference as Bevj points out in post 2.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to do it: I thank you for taking the time. I thank the person. I thank you.
    I greatly appreciate your taking the time to do it: I especially thank for the fact that you have taken the time. I thank for the action made rather than the person.

Last edited:

k-in-sc

U.S. English
    Except that in conversation "you taking" is understood to mean the same as "your taking" -- your action rather than you as a person -- and people who try to draw a distinction are spitting into the wind :D

Stu K

English-Irish
    Lo que has dicho es correcto. como un nativo usaria ambas. depende de lo que se me venga a la mente a aquel momento.

En ingles hay muchas maneras de decir las cosas.

espero k te ha servido.
    Saludos

< Previous | Next >