I had a bellyache / bellyache / I had a stomach ache / stomach ache

MeBenji

French - France
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there was a difference between these two words in usage. For example, when you have eaten too much, do you say: I have a stomachache or I have a bellyache? Which one is more common in daily spoken English?
Thanks in advance:)

• Copyright

American English
    I would use stomachache to refer to a pain in my stomach not caused overeating – I would just say "I'm too full" or "I'm stuffed" or "I think I'm going to explode" or "Bring me a stretcher."

I wouldn't use bellyache myself, because as a verb it means to complain.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there was a difference between these two words in usage. For example, when you have eaten too much, do you say: I have a stomachache or I have a bellyache? Which one is more common in daily spoken English?
    Thanks in advance:)
    You hear both in American English: stomach ache / belly ache

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    It's possible to use either in terms of having eaten too much but they're more commonly associated with an ailment of some sort. Like Copy, if I'd eaten too much, I would use other expressions. In fact, I often do.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    I would use stomachache to refer to a pain in my stomach not caused overeating – I would just say "I'm too full" :thumbsup: or "I'm stuffed" :thumbsup: or "I think I'm going to explode" :thumbsup: or "Bring me a stretcher." (what a drama queen! :D)

I wouldn't use bellyache myself, because as a verb it means to complain.
    'Bellyache' is also a bit old-fashioned (in Australia, at least) except when used to mean to complain. :)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I hardly hear belly ache. Stomach ache and tummy ache are my normal expressions (as well as Copyright's suggestions). (And I think I'd spell them as two words.)

MeBenji

French - France
    Cool, thanks! So, If I get it all well, I should use "I'm too full", "I'm stuffed" and other expressions when overeating; and use stomachache if the pain comes from food poisoning or other illnesses. I take it "bellyache" should be avoided as a noun in order not to mix up with the verb.

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    That about sums it up, yes. :) Although I don't think you need to avoid belly ache in the ailment context. It's a verb, yes, but it's also a slang version of stomach ache. It certainly won't cause any confusion in context.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I hardly hear belly ache. Stomach ache and tummy ache are my normal expressions (as well as Copyright's suggestions). (And I think I'd spell them as two words.)
    (I'd also spell them as two words.)

Last edited:

sunnyweather

Polish
    < This discussion has been added to a previous thread. Cagey, moderator >

Hello,

I wonder if 'stomach ache' can be replaced with 'bellyache' in the following sentence. Are all four options corect?

1) I had a bellyache.
    2) I had bellyache.
    3) I had a stomach ache.
    4) I had stomach ache.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    I think there is a difference between "bellyache" and "stomachache", because there is a difference between "belly" and "stomach". What do you native speakers say?

I wish some native doctor would chime in on this.:)

owlman5

English-US
    In talk about abdominal pain, both words look perfectly normal and have the same meaning.

In figurative talk about complaining, I only hear "bellyaching" but that I don't hear that word very often these days.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    This more recent discussion has been added to a previous thread.
    Please scroll up and read from the top.

Cagey, moderator.

< Previous | Next >