I had a raise coming and I got it.

• Love Conquers All

English, Canada
    I'm not positive but I believe that a more proper way of saying it would be "I've had a raise coming and I recieved it." although if I were saying it I would probably say it how you said it.

User1001

American English
    It isn't bad English, but it isn't proper or common either. The proper way to say it would be, "I have received a raise today", while the common way to say it would be, "I got a raise today!!"

EDIT: My italicized text BB code was broken, so I had to fix it.

dylanG3893

CA
    United States
    Overall this is pretty much correct.
    If you want other, more native (I guess) flows of the sentance, here it is:

"I thought I was going to get the raise, and (now) I got it."

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In BE we get a rise, although I expect raise is invading.

I don't think I would have a rise coming, I would be due a rise, so:

I was due a rise, and I got it!

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I think this is a perfectly acceptable, colloquial way of saying it. :thumbsup:

Our colleagues suggestions are also correct, but if you are looking for an excited, happy, spoken phrase... you've found it!

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Times have changed.

Unless you have to satisfy some teacher or specific reader who has outmoded ideas about formality-- anything that is correct in the spoken language is acceptable in writing.

Receive is by no stretch of the imagination any better or more proper or more "correct" than get.

Not in AE the way I speak and write it, and have taught it at the university level. The "wall" between the formal and the colloquial is a thing of the distant past-- the century before last, for crying out loud!

So what you have to know is-- are you writing for someone who is still an adherent of obsolescent modes of style? If so, adapt your writing to appease such people. If not, "speak on the page" as you would anywhere else.

< Previous | Next >