I had always wanted to ask her out on a date.

JoeSouthern

English
If I wanteed to say the above would it be "J’ai toujours voulu à la demander sortir sur une date" Iam not sure about the verbs or if that would be the right word for date.

• renardor

France, Français
    it's a little error actually.
    correction: "J'ai toujours voulu lui demander de sortir avec moi".

in fact, in french, the "é" and "er" at the end of verbs are said the same so we often make mistakes.

Glat64

English
    Hope this is allowed on the forum, but as an English speaker I'm intrigued to find out how my guess would have worked ?

Je voulais toujours lui demander si elle voudrait sortir avec moi ?

Merci

Lacuzon

French - France
    Bonsoir,

Structure is correct, but tenses are not, it should be: J'ai toujours voulu lui demander si elle voulait sortir avec moi.

Oddmania

French
    Hi,

If the original sentence is I had always wanted to ask her out, then the French one should read J'avais toujours voulu lui demander de sortir avec moi.
    J'ai toujours voulu would've been I've always wanted to...

The Imparfait tense would only be required if a duration was involved : I had wanted to do that for ten years → Je voulais faire ça depuis dix ans.

TylerC

English - North America
    In my opinion, Oddmania is right on both counts:
    - I had + past participe of main verb is translated using the past perfect tense, i.e. le plus-que-parfait.
    - to go out on a date = avoir un rendez-vous; sortir avec quelqu'un (I verified this in a dictionary)

Lacuzon

French - France
    Hi,

If the original sentence is I had always wanted to ask her out, then the French one should read J'avais toujours voulu lui demander de sortir avec moi.
    J'ai toujours voulu would've been I've always wanted to...

The Imparfait tense would only be required if a duration was involved : I had wanted to do that for ten years → Je voulais faire ça depuis dix ans.
    You're right, I missed that point.

Glat64

English
    Thanks Tyler C & Lacuzon, I can see my glaring mistake now in the use of the conditional in je voudrait, I do it far too often !! And thanks once again to you Oddmania, I did wonder at the use of j'ai in this instance.... I nearly opted for j'avais !! :rolleyes:

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    I agree with Oddmania re: I had always wanted to... = J'avais toujours voulu ... but there's also : Je voulais / rêvais depuis toujours.

In my opinion, your sentence Glat64 is grammatically correct even with the conditional. A conditional following « si » isn't always wrong.
    On peut toutefois utiliser le conditionnel après si lorsque cette conjonction introduit une interrogation indirecte plutôt qu'une condition.

Exemples :

- Je lui ai demandé s'il voudrait me remplacer. (Dans cette phrase, l'imparfait serait lui aussi correct, mais le sens ne serait pas exactement le même.)
    S'il voudrait = if he would want/like/accept to as opposed to s'il voulait = if he wanted to

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >