I had better pass them by

Agnès E.

France, French
Bonjour ! :)

I have difficulties to understand the last sentence of this paragraph:

While women talked about peak experiences from having children, men didn't. Now we have a way to teach men also to have peak experiences from childbirth. This means, in a certain condensed sense, being changed, seeing things differently, living in a different world, having different cognitions, in a certain sense some move toward living happily ever after. Now these are data, various paths to mystical experiences. I think that I had better pass them by as they are so numerous.
As the whole section deals with finding new ways to find triggers which would induce these peak experiences, this last sentence seems quite a paradox with the author's purposes... I understand this sentence as a defeatist statement that this research is too complicated. But this is contradictory to the whole life and works of this researcher! :confused:

I must have totally misunderstood it. Can you help me?

• Brioche

Australia English
    I wonder whether it is a missprint.
    The whole piece reads rather awkwardly, anyway.

Pass them on would make much better sense.

Kelly B

USA English
    I interpret "pass them by" to mean "skip them."
    It is an odd passage. What is the general sense of the text which follows?

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Bonjour Agnès,
    You have certainly got an odd text to play with.
    Agnès E. said:
    Bonjour ! :)

I have difficulties to understandin understanding the last sentence of this paragraph:

As the whole section deals with finding new ways to find triggers which would induce these peak experiences, this last sentence seems quite a paradox with the author's purposes... I understand this sentence as a defeatist statement that this research is too complicated. Either too complicated, or the anecdotal 'data' has no particular pattern that offers any useful insight. But this is contradictory to the whole life and works of this researcher! :confused:

I must have totally misunderstood it. Can you help me?
    I think you have understood it well, but the key to understanding it may come in whatever text follows that which you have presented.

Agnès E.

France, French
    Oh, I'm sorry for the lack of context. :eek:
    I had the feeling that he started another view afterwards...
    Here is the following text (written during the 60's ;) ):

So far, I have found that these peak experiences are reported from what we might call "classical music". I have not found a peak experience from John Cage or from an Andy Warhol movie, from abstract-expressionistic kind of painting, or the like. I just haven't.The peak experience that has reported the great joy, the ecstasy, the visions of another world, or another level of living, has come from classical music--the great classics.
    I'm not sure it helps, unfortunately... :(
    His whole case is that usual "scientific" approach is not sufficient to understand the paths leading to mystic events or feelings, and that there are other ways (not obviously scientific, but as valid) that have to be searched and found (and this has been the work to which he dedicated his whole life).
    Hence my perplexity as for this sentence.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    This does help a lot. He is not being defeatist. Rather, he is leaving the "data" aside...passing them by...as they offer little or no insight.

I think that I had better pass them by as they are so numerous.
    I read 'numerous' as great in number, but small in providing a clear conclusion that may be projected beyond the data themselves.

It is ambiguous, 'touchy-feely' writing, and thus open to a number of interpretations.

Kelly B

USA English
    The two paragraphs together would make me very skeptical of anything else this fellow has to say.... Perhaps that's an unfair judgment.
    I still think he means "skip them." These sorts of paths to peak experience, including childbirth, are too numerous for me to discuss them in depth, so I will not discuss them any further. Instead, I will move on, and discuss peak experience through classical music. [more of my snap judgment: "forget that birth stuff, this is the really interesting one."]

qbnaenmiami

U.S. Spanish and English
    I agree with KellyB I think he means to skip over them, not deal with them, set them aside, because it would take too long to go into detail because of how many there are.

Agnès E.

France, French
    I see much better, now! I know how to express it.

This text is just a set of notes that have never been properly proofread and linked in a "literary" way...

Thank you all for your kind (and great) help. :)

< Previous | Next >